This nutritious Quick Vegetarian Curry with Paneer is a delicious, easy and fuss free dish that comes together in under 30 minutes.
I absolutely love curry style recipes – they make incredible comfort dishes without necessarily being high in calories. In addition, they are endlessly versatile as well as ideal in vegetarian cooking – you can make a curry with virtually any vegetable.
This Quick Vegetarian Curry with Paneer has the added advantage of being very uncomplicated and easy to make. Yes, I’ve taken a few shortcuts but I used good quality fresh ingredients and the result is a healthy delicious dish that cooks in under 30 minutes and can feed a family! All it needs is a bit of nice basmati rice to go with it (you’ll save time if you cook the rice while the curry is quietly simmering away).
I love paneer cheese for its wonderful mildly sweetish flavour as well as the fact that it keeps its shape during cooking. This is why it’s ideal to add to stews, salads or curries. I can’t think of any other cheese with similar characteristics (halloumi is also a great cooking cheese although its high salt content makes it less versatile than paneer, in my opinion), which is what makes paneer so special.
Paneer’s texture when cooked reminds me a bit of tofu. In fact, there are more similarities, as both are also good sources of protein. While tofu is a soya product, however, paneer is a cheese, so can’t be used in vegan cooking.
Quick and easy vegetable curry
This vegetarian curry recipe takes very little time to prepare. You will only have to chop the fresh ingredients roughly as they get pureed before cooking. So once you’ve heated up the oil with the spices simply pour in the pureed mixture, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Then add the chickpeas and continue cooking for another 15 minutes. In the meantime fry the paneer until lightly browned. Once the sauce is ready simply toss in the paneer, freshly chopped cilantro and enjoy!
You may have noticed that the list of ingredients is not very long, as far as curries go, especially when it comes to spices. As this is meant to be a quick mid-week dish I opted for a combination of curry powder plus only 3 more spices, which I particularly enjoy in curry dishes: cumin, coriander and turmeric. There are various types of curry powders in the shops so just use your favourite.
What I also love about this Quick Vegetarian Curry with Paneer is that it can be enjoyed the next day too. That’s if there are any leftovers…
Quick Vegetarian Curry with Paneer
- 4 medium shallots peeled
- 4 garlic cloves peeled
- 1.5 tablespoons fresh ginger peeled
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- ½ chilli use more if you want to add more heat
- 1 x400g tin chickpeas drained
- 250 g paneer cheese cubed
- 4-5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.5 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon each turmeric and coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder any
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Small bunch fresh coriander cilantro, finely chopped
- Roughly chop the shallots, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, bell pepper and chilli, place in a blender and puree until the mixture is relatively smooth.
- In a large saucepan heat up 3 tablespoons of oil, add the bay leaf, curry powder, cumin, coriander powder and turmeric, stir, then add the tomato mixture, tomato puree, salt and stir. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and continue simmering for 15 more minutes.
- In a large frying pan heat up the remaining oil, add the paneer and fry over a medium heat for a few minutes stirring often, until the pieces are lightly browned. Add to the curry along with the coriander (cilantro). Stir through and serve.
Pin Quick Vegetarian Curry with Paneer!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this easy vegetarian curry with paneer recipe to Cook Once Eat Twice, Recipe of the Week. Also shared with#CookBlogShare, which I have the pleasure of hosting this week. Sharing also with Fiesta Friday. This week’s co-hosts are Zeba @ Food For The Soul and Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook.