This nutritious, vegan quinoa salad with black beans and vegetables can be put together in under 15 minutes. Full of protein and veggie goodness it makes a satisfying, nutritious light salad meal.
With a little preparation this quinoa salad with black beans can be thrown together in less than 15 minutes. Great as a meal on its own, accompaniment to chicken or veggie burgers as well as healthy lunch idea you can take to work.
How to prepare the quinoa
Quinoa is the perfect salad ingredient. It is light, healthy and tastes delicious in this vegan quinoa salad with black beans. It also adds substance so you can enjoy your salad also as a meal (ideal at lunch time) and not just a side dish.
You can buy pre-cooked, ready to eat quinoa if you are really pressed for time though raw quinoa needs only about 15 minutes to cook. And if you cook a larger batch you can refrigerate it (once cooled) for up to 4 days and incorporate into all sorts of dishes. And not just savoury ones! Try making semi-sweet overnight quinoa, adding it into a cherry crumble or chocolate sweet potato pudding.
Prepping the beans
Using beans from a can is more convenient than cooking your own, but you could do either. If you are using the canned variety remember to rinse the beans. If you prefer to use dry beans, soak them in water overnight, then cook until tender (usually 1-1.5 hours)
How to make quinoa salad with black beans and vegetables
This salad recipe is very simple and doesn’t require too much chopping.
Simply combine the cooked quinoa, beans and vegetables and prepare the quick dressing. The 4-ingredient dressing is very uncomplicated and gives the salad a gentle heat. Briefly fry the garlic and chilli flakes (for more flavour), combine with the oil and lemon juice and drizzle over the salad. Season to taste and enjoy!
If you make this recipe I’d love to know how it turned out so please let me know in the comments section below, your feedback is important to me! Thanks:)
More quinoa salad recipe ideas
Check out also this collection of over 15 easy vegan salads.
Quinoa Salad with Black Beans & Vegetables (Vegan)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa lightly packed
- 2/3 cup cooked black beans, or use beans from a can, rinsed
- 1/2 cucumber about 18 cm
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes halved
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 level teaspoon chilli flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus another for frying the garlic and chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If you are using dried beans soak them overnight and cook until tender.
- To make the dressing, heat up 1 tablespoon of oil and fry the chilli flakes and garlic for about 1 minute on low-medium heat stirring constantly, or until the garlic starts to brown. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl immediately and allow to cool. Add the remaining oil and lemon juice. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the other ingredients, add the dressing, season and stir well. Serves 4.
Pin Quinoa Salad with Black Bean & Vegetables (Vegan)!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this vegan quinoa black bean salad recipe to Tasty Tuesdays.