This vegan beetroot burgers recipe is a simple, delicious way to include more veggies in your diet. These veggie burgers with quinoa make a nutritious, tasty light meal, perfect for lunch or dinner.
This easy vegan beetroot burgers recipe contains only 4 ingredients plus a few spices to help bring all the flavours together. So this recipe is very uncomplicated. You will need to do a tiny bit of preparation before you make these burgers, though.
Quinoa and beetroot are 2 of my favourite ingredients. So I am very excited I’ve managed to create a recipe that uses both!
Why do I need to bake the beets?
Mainly because they need to have as little moisture as possible. Plus baked beetroot has a gorgeously intense flavour.
Boiled beetroot works well in salad recipes, such as this beetroot salsa, or beetroot salad with grapefruit and halloumi. But in this beetroot burger recipe I wanted lots of flavour with limited moisture, especially as I also used quinoa and mung beans (presoaked).
Prepare the ingredients ahead
Although the list of ingredients in this recipe is very short they need a bit of preparation.
The good news is that all of these ingredients can be prepared ahead.
Once you’ve cooled the beetroot you can pop it in the fridge until you are ready to make the recipe. You can refrigerate it for up to 2 days. The same goes for quinoa.
You can also keep the beans in the fridge for a couple of days once you’ve drained the water off.
That’s why this quinoa burger recipe is so easy to make!
How to make quinoa vegan beet burgers
Once you’ve prepared the beetroot (baked and cooled), and the beans (soaked and strained thoroughly) put them in a blender and puree. Add the spices, combine with the quinoa and breadcrumbs and stir thoroughly. Then simply form the burgers and fry briefly in a little oil.
Why did I use breadcrumbs in this vegan beetroot burgers recipe
I used a bit of breadcrumbs in the recipe. Firstly, to help bind the mixture together. Beetroot contains quite a bit of moisture and do the breadcrumbs absorb some of it. I also used some breadcrumbs for coating to give these beetroot burgers a crispy finish.
These healthy quinoa burgers tasted delicious served with my easy, refreshing minty guacamole! Another great sauce to serve these beet burgers is low fat ranch. (Both are vegetarian). Serve in your favourite, toasted burger bun on a bed of leaves. And for a more substantial meal serve with these easy spiced homemade potato wedges.
Other easy veggie patties recipes
I while ago I made a similar recipe using beetroot you might also like. My Beetroot Polenta Cakes with Cheese are a delicious healthy snack recipe idea.
And if you like the idea of using mung beans in burgers try this tasty Bean, Mushroom and Cheese Cakes recipe. They make a fantastic healthy appetizer!
Check out also this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals.
Vegan Beetroot Burgers with Quinoa
- 2 small beets, unpeeled
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 cup mung beans, raw
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs, plus 2 for coating
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2/3 tsp onion granules
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/3 tsp each: fine sea salt and cayenne pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Soak the beans overnight. In the morning strain, rinse and leave in a strainer to remove any excess water.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. Place the beets on a baking tray in the centre of the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool and peel. Roughly chop and set aside.
- Puree 1 cup of the beans (you may have a little more after soaking, but only use 1 cup) with the beetroot and spices (I used a stick blender to do this). Combine the mixture with the quinoa and 4 tablespoons of the breadcrumbs, stir well and adjust the seasoning if necessary (you can taste the mixture, mung beans can be eaten raw).
- Form burgers and coat in breadcrumbs. In a large frying pan preheat 2 tablespoons of the oil and fry the burgers over a low/medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. Add a little more oil once you've turned them over.
- Serve with your favourite burger bun, with a dollop of my easy minty guacamole!
Pin Vegan Beetroot Burgers with Quinoa!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
I am taking my vegan quinoa beetroot burgers recipe to Recipe ReDux, joining in with this month’s Sandwich Upgrades challenge. Pop over and see what other healthy recipe bloggers have linked up!
Sharing also with #CookBlogShare, which I have the pleasure of hosting this week. If you’ve got a recipe bring it to the party too!