These zesty, low sugar, high in protein Lime Muffins with Quinoa are packed full of flavour and goodness. Enjoy for breakfast, as a healthy snack or healthy lunchbox idea.
These zingy lime muffins are low in sugar and fat and are packed full of goodness. Thanks to the addition of the quinoa as well as ground almonds they not only have a nice, light and fluffy texture but also contain lots of healthy protein. Which makes them a great breakfast option as well as satisfying snack you can enjoy anytime.
Cook the quinoa ahead
The quinoa can be cooked ahead and, once cooled, kept refrigerated (up to 3 days) until you are ready to use it. I recommend preparing it ahead as it will save you time when making the recipe.
Using ground almonds in baking
I love to combine plain flour with ground almonds as the result is always a lighter, fluffier bake. I’ve used this combination in these lemon marzipan muffins and carrot cake muffins (I also used buckwheat flour in this recipe), with terrific results. The ground almonds also add a bit of natural sweetness and nutty flavour, which works well in most bakes.
How to make lime muffins with quinoa
You won’t need to use an electric mixer, a whisk will do, so preparation is quick and simple.
Combine the dry ingredients and set aside. In another bowl whisk together the eggs, oil and sugar. Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Pour in the dry mixture and stir only until the dry ingredients are no longer visible. Then simply spoon the batter into prepared muffin cases and bake the muffins in a preheated oven for 23 minutes!
I appreciate your feedback so leave a quick comment before you go! If you make this healthy muffin recipe I’d love to know how it turned out!
More quinoa bakes you may like:
Check out also this collection of 18 healthy, easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
Lime Muffins with Quinoa
- 1 cup cooked quinoa loosely packed
- 1 and 1/4 cup flour
- 1 and 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup sultanas
- 1 cup semi-skimmed milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/200 C/ gas mark 6. Place 12 muffin cases inside a muffin tin.
- Combine the flour, ground almonds and baking powder. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Add the quinoa, juice and zest of the limes, milk and sultanas and stir well. Pour in the dry mixture all at once and stir until the dry ingredients are no longer visible.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases. Bake for 23 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Yields 12.
Pin this healthy Lime Muffins with Quinoa recipe!
Keep in Touch
Recipe Link Parties
I am taking my Quinoa Muffins with Lime and Sultanas to Tasty Tuesdays.