This delicious creamy red vegetable soup is incredibly nutritious, gluten free, vegan and ready in just over 30 minutes.
This deliciously warming red vegetable soup is light yet satisfying and creamy and bursting with nutritious ingredients.
Soup is one of those fantastic, simple dishes that can be made using a huge range of ingredients. We are likely to have enough ingredients in our fridge and/or cupboard at any given time to be able to make a decent soup.
This red vegetable soup came about because I happened to have all the ingredients in my fridge. Apart from the lentils, which came from the cupboard. What struck me was that most of them were red. So this recipe really named itself. My only job was to cook it.
Red vegetables are nutritious
We know that green vegetables are super rich in vitamins and minerals essential in our diet. But all vegetables are healthy and all contain different nutritional benefits.
For example, tomatoes contain a large amount of beneficial lycopene, while carrots and sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene. In short, this red vegetable soup is full of goodness! Plus it happens to be vegan and gluten free! How good is that? And you won’t need to use any stock cubes. So you decide how much salt and pepper you want to use.
The combination of sweet (carrot and sweet potato) and sour (tomatoes) ingredients creates a flavourful and rich tasting dish. You can add plenty of black pepper (or try a bit of cayenne) for extra heat. I also used red lentils in this simple vegetable soup recipe. In addition to keeping with the ‘red’ theme, they also add more substance to this soup. So it’s filling while still being healthy.
How much water to use
I recommend adding 3 quarters of the suggested amount of water to start with. This way you’ll be able to adjust the thickness to suit your taste. If the soup is too thick just top it up with a bit more water after you’ve pureed it.
Use freshly chopped cilantro and black sesame seeds to create a bit of contrast, add freshness and crunch to this soup (though it’s delicious on its own too). Here is an easy recipe for making your own (healthy) croutons, which would be great in this soup. Enjoy!
More creamy vegan soup recipes
- Easy Zucchini Soup (Vegan, Low Fat)
- Beetroot Soup with Kale and Fennel
- Roasted Pepper Quinoa Soup with Basil
Check out also this collection of over 12 creamy vegan soups.
Red Vegetable Soup (Vegan)
- 1 medium red bell pepper deseeded, roughly chopped
- 1 small/medium sweet potato peeled, chopped
- 1 medium carrot peeled, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 small celery stalk chopped
- 1/3 cup red lentils rinsed
- 1 large garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1.5 teaspoons coarse sea salt plenty of pepper
- 3-3.5 cups hot water
- Freshly chopped cilantro and black sesame seeds for garnish optional
- In a large pot heat up the oil with the bay leaf. Add the garlic, onion, celery and lentils, stir and cook over a medium heat for a couple of minutes stirring often.
- Add the carrot, sweet potato, pepper, tomatoes and tomato paste, stir and cook for another minute or so. Add the seasoning, hot water, stir, cover, turn up the heat and bring to boil. Then lower the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, take out the bay leaf and puree. Taste to adjust the seasoning as necessary, pour a desired amount into a bowl, garnish with cilantro and sesame seeds (optional) and serve.
Pin Red Vegetable Soup (Vegan)
Keep in touch!
Recipe link parties
I am sharing this creamy vegan vegetable soup recipe with Meat Free Monday.