This simple, warming spiced cauliflower apple soup with cheese is tasty and nutritious, perfect as a starter or light lunch idea. It is made using roasted cauliflower, tangy apple, a handful of delicious spices and a moderate amount of cheese.
This chunky, spiced cauliflower apple soup is a quick and easy recipe that celebrates autumnal flavours. Preparation takes minutes and the soup itself is briefly cooked, then finished off in the oven.
Roasted vegetables are sweet and delicious. They are great served on their own but I also like to add them to dishes for extra flavour. Which is why I roasted the cauliflower for this healthy soup recipe.
I wanted it to retain some crunch and as much flavour as possible and the best way to ensure this was by roasting it first.
How to roast the cauliflower
Chop the cauliflower into small pieces and place on top of a large baking tray. Season, sprinkle with the spices, drizzle with a little oil (approx. 2 tablespoons) and bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes (gas mark 6).
It is important to add the spices into roasting, rather than later on into the soup, in order to infuse the cauliflower with lots of flavour.
How to make chunky spiced cauliflower apple soup
Whilst the cauliflower is in the oven prepare the rest of the ingredients. In a pot gently fry the bay leaf, shallots, garlic and celery in a little oil. Then simply add the rest of the ingredients (including the roasted cauliflower), cover and bring to the boil, then simmer for 8 minutes.
I didn’t puree the soup but used a potato masher instead to break up the larger cauliflower pieces. That way you can really appreciate the nutty flavour and lightly crunchy texture of this delicious vegetable. I think this roasted cauliflower soup is more interesting served this way.
What cheese to use in apple cauliflower soup
I used a sweet, nutty and crumbly cheese variety. But a stronger more intense flavour, such as Stilton or Blue cheese, would also work well in this recipe.
I used ramekins to make individual soup portions mainly because I wanted to melt the cheese rather than just sprinkle it on top. It’s up to you how much cheese you want to use. I used a moderate amount as I wanted to keep this recipe low fat.
How to serve this chunky roasted cauliflower soup
I used freshly chopped parsley for garnish but you could add a sprinkle of thyme, oregano or basil if you prefer. I also scattered some pine nuts on top, but sunflower seeds or chopped hazelnuts would work well too.
Enjoy with fresh baguette or simply on its own.
More chunky soup recipes
You might also like this collection of over 12 creamy vegan soups.
Spiced Cauliflower Apple Soup with Cheese
- 1 small cauliflower about 600g
- 1 bramley apple or another sour variety
- 1/2 celery stalk finely chopped
- 4 shallots finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- Spice mix: 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon nutmeg, allspice, 1/3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus more for seasoning the cauliflower and plenty of pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Fresh parsley and toasted pine nuts for serving
- Cheese for crumbling on top sweet and nutty or strong and tangy
- 650 ml hot water or a bit less if you like your soup very thick
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Chop the cauliflower into small pieces (halve the large florets), place on top of a baking tray, sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, season, drizzle with a little oil (2 tbsp) and bake for 20 minutes.
- In a large pot heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add the bay leaf, shallots, garlic and celery, and saute for a few minutes. Peel the apple, remove the core and chop roughly. Add the apple, cauliflower pieces, water, sugar, turmeric, 1 teaspoon of salt and plenty of pepper to the soup mixture, stir, cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Mash the soup a little with a potato masher, adjust seasoning if necessary and ladle into ramekins. Top with cheese and bake for 10 minutes at 425 F/ 220 C/ gas mark 7.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, freshly chopped parsley and lightly toasted pine nuts.
Pin Spiced Cauliflower Apple Soup with Cheese!