This simple, warming Roasted Cauliflower Cheese Soup with Apple is tasty and nutritious, perfect as a starter or light lunch idea.
Roasted cauliflower cheese soup
I make a lot of soups this time of year and today I am sharing this Roasted Cauliflower Cheese Soup with Apple recipe. This is a quick and easy recipe that celebrates autumnal flavours. Preparation takes minutes and the soup itself is briefly cooked, then finished off in the oven.
Roasted vegetables are sweet and delicious. They are great served on their own but I also like to add them to dishes for extra flavour. Which is why I roasted the cauliflower for this low carb cauliflower soup recipe.
Cauliflower is the star of this recipe. I wanted it to retain some crunch and as much flavour as possible and the best way to ensure this was by roasting it first.
Cauliflower soup with apple
I didn’t puree this easy cauliflower soup but used a potato masher instead to break up the larger cauliflower pieces. That way you can really appreciate the nutty flavour and lightly crunchy texture of this delicious vegetable. I think this roasted cauliflower soup is more interesting served this way. To make it a truly autumnal recipe I paired the cauliflower with sour cooking apple (full of flavour and character!). I recommend using plenty of pepper in this soup. And if you want to spice it up a little more try adding about 1/3 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.
Healthy cauliflower cheese soup recipe
I used ramekins to make individual soup portions mainly because I wanted to melt the cheese rather than just sprinkle it on top. It’s up to you how much cheese you want to use. I used a moderate amount as I wanted to keep this recipe low fat. I used a sweet, nutty and crumbly cheese variety. But a stronger more intense flavour, such as Stilton or Blue cheese, would also work well in this recipe. I must say I quite like serving soup in smart little ramekins. They make the soup look quite appealing, I think. I have to remember to do it more often in the future.
More roasted cauliflower recipes
If you love roasted cauliflower you may also like these other recipes:
I am always interested in what you think about my recipes so please do leave a comment:)
Roasted Cauliflower Cheese Soup with Apple
- 1 small cauliflower about 600g
- 1 bramley apple or other sour variety
- 1/2 celery stick finely chopped
- 4 shallots finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- Spice mix: 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon nutmeg, allspice, 1/3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus more for seasoning the cauliflower and plenty of pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Fresh parsley and toasted pine nuts for serving
- Cheese for crumbling on top sweet and nutty or strong and tangy
- 650 ml hot water or a bit less if you like your soup very thick
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Chop the cauliflower into small pieces (halve the large florets), place in a baking tray, sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, season, drizzle with oil and bake for 20 minutes.
- In a large pot heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add the bay leaf, shallots and celery, and saute for a few minutes. Peel the apple, remove the core and chop roughly. Add the apple, cauliflower pieces, water, sugar, turmeric, 1 teaspoon of salt and plenty of pepper to the soup mixture, stir, cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Mash the soup a little with a potato masher, adjust seasoning if necessary and ladle into ramekins. Top with cheese and bake for 10 minutes at 425 F/ 220 C/ gas mark 7.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, freshly chopped parsley and lightly toasted pine nuts.
Pin Roasted Cauliflower Cheese Soup with Apple!
MORE DELICIOUS, EASY SOUP RECIPES
Get all my easy, healthy Soup Recipe ideas – mostly vegetarian or vegan.