This flavoursome quick and Easy Vegetable Casserole with Roasted Fennel & Beans is a delicious, satisfying vegetarian family dinner idea.
If you’ve ever tasted roasted fennel you will know that it’s quite different from raw. When it cooks it loses its crunch and aniseed notes and instead becomes sweet and mellow and soft. Like in this flavourful Easy Vegetable Casserole with Roasted Fennel & Beans. This vegetarian casserole is a combination of different textures and contrasting flavours, which together create a rich, satisfying, delicious dish.
To make the sauce I used a combination of sweet and tangy vegetables, as well as a splash of wine and sun dried tomatoes for a richer flavour. I added beans for bulk and protein. The sweet roasted fennel is absolutely delicious with the rich vegetable bean sauce and the tangy feta.
How to make easy vegetable casserole
There are 3 separate parts to this recipe, 2 of which can be cooked simultaneously so the recipe doesn’t take very long to make.
Once the fennel is in the oven (it only needs to be sliced, seasoned and drizzled with a bit of olive oil) you can get started on the vegetable sauce. By the time the fennel is ready the sauce should be more or less finished.
Then all you have to do is combine the two and scatter some crumbled feta over the top. (And drizzle with more olive oil if you like – highly recommended!). The dish then goes back in the oven for only 8 more minutes.
In about 45 minutes you’ll have a rich, hearty, healthy vegetarian dish that tastes like it’s been cooking for 4 slow hours!
More fennel recipes
This easy vegetable casserole can be served with pasta, rice, quinoa or potatoes or simply a slice of bread and a drizzle of olive oil (olive oil tastes fantastic in this recipe!). Ideal for lunch or dinner, equally suitable as a family meal or a dinner party idea. Tastes great the next day too!
*NOTE: I used haricot beans but you can use another bean variety if you prefer. I chose haricot simply because I wanted small beans that wouldn’t dominate the sauce.
Check out also this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals.
Easy Vegetable Casserole with Roasted Fennel & Beans
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 100 g feta
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 1 cup haricot beans tinned or soaked overnight and cooked
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 bell red pepper roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 4 tablespoons white wine
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Line a baking sheet with non-stick paper. Cut the fennels lengthways into quarters and place on the baking sheet. Season, drizzle with olive oil and pop in the oven for 35 minutes (remove from the oven and raise the temperature to 450 F/ 230 C/ gas mark 8).
- While the fennels are roasting prepare the sauce. In a medium saucepan heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and bay leaf and cook for 2 minutes over a medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add the wine, carrot, pepper, beans and tomatoes and stir well.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes, oregano , season to taste, stir, cover and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce to a baking dish, place the fennel on top, scatter feta pieces, drizzle with a little more oil and place in the hot oven (remember it's at gas mark 8) for about 8 minutes. Garnish with freshly chopped chives (optional) and serve.