This easy roasted red pepper pasta with oregano is low in fat, vegan and delicious – perfect as a family weeknight meal idea!
This delicious roasted pepper pasta with oregano is low fat, vegan and very uncomplicated. All you need is a few nice red bell peppers and a handful of ingredients to make a simple tomato sauce.
What peppers to use
I chose red bell peppers for their sweet flavour but you can also use yellow or green peppers to add more colour to your pasta dish. Less common, long pointed red peppers (which tend to be even sweeter than red bell peppers) would work well too.
How to prep the peppers
Cut them in half, discard the seeds and place the peppers on top of a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (skin side up). Bake for approx. 35 minutes, until the skin turns dark brown. The exact roasting time depends on personal preference. You could roast them for 25 minutes and enjoy them al dente if you prefer (bear in mind though that you won’t be able to peel them easily if they aren’t soft enough).
Once they’ve cooled a little remove as much of the skin as possible, cut into long strips and add into your sauce.
Can I puree the peppers with the sauce
Absolutely! This might be a good idea especially if you are trying to ‘hide’ the peppers in the sauce for fussy eaters. I chose to chop the peppers to add a more dramatic look into this simple pasta dish and also because I love the sweetness of roasted red peppers.
Can I roast the peppers ahead
Yes, you can! This will save you lots of preparation time when you are putting the recipe together. Once you’ve roasted and cooled the peppers (remove the skin at this point to speed things up even more!) place them in a bowl, cover and refrigerate. You could chop them up straight away or later, while you are waiting for the pasta to boil.
How to make simple tomato sauce for roasted pepper pasta
The sauce is quick and easy to make and provides a nice tangy background for the sweet peppers. I purposely didn’t use very much sauce in this recipe as I wanted to make the peppers the main focus.
To make the simple tomato sauce fry the onion, garlic and chilli flakes in a little oil for a few minutes until softened. Then add the tomato paste and some of the water from cooking the pasta, stir and cook for another minute or so. Remove from the heat and puree.
To serve, either combine the sauce with the chopped roasted peppers or puree all the ingredients and combine with the pasta.
Can I make the tomato sauce ahead
Yes, you can! You could combine it with the peppers before refrigerating and simply heat it up in a microwave when you are ready to serve the pasta. Alternatively refrigerate the sauce separately and combine with the peppers when serving.
Can I substitute the oregano with another herb in roasted pepper pasta recipe
Yes, you can! Both peppers as well as tomatoes work with just about any herb (Mediterranean especially) so simply use your favourite. For example, basil, thyme, rosemary or parsley would all be great options. My herb of choice in this recipe is oregano, which has slightly bitter notes – perfect for pairing with the sweet red peppers.
Dishes containing oregano seem to be very popular with my children. My son said the pasta tasted like pizza (his idea of culinary heaven!). He didn’t even mind that it was a little spicy (that probably just reminded him of pepperoni, his favourite pizza ingredient). I was just happy he liked it!
If you are a fan of oregano you might also like this asparagus tomato pasta with oregano pesto.
Serving suggestions for roasted pepper pasta
I think the chilli tastes great in this vegetarian red pepper pasta recipe but you can omit it if you prefer or use less. This dish is also nice with a bit of cheese, if you don’t need it to be vegan. I enjoyed mine vegan, with a bit of salt and a generous drizzle of olive oil!
More roasted red pepper recipes
Check out also this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals!
Easy Roasted Pepper Pasta with Oregano (Vegan)
- Pasta for 4 people use your favourite pasta
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano finely chopped (or 1 heaped teaspoon dry)
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and place on a baking tray (lined with baking paper) skin side up. Roast for about 30-35 minutes until the skin turns dark brown. Let cool a little, remove as much of the skin as possible and slice into long thin strips. Set aside.
- While the peppers are in the oven cook your pasta in salted water with the bay leaf. Strain, reserving the water, and set aside.
- In a saucepan heat up the oil, add the garlic, chilli flakes and onion and fry on a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until the onion is tender (but not browned), stirring occasionally. Add the tomato paste, salt and 1/3 - 1/2 cup of water (from cooking the pasta) and cook for another minute. Remove from the heat, puree the sauce, add the oregano, season and combine with the peppers. Combine with the pasta and serve immediately (drizzle each portion with a little oil).
Pin Easy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta with Oregano (Vegan)
Keep in touch
Recipe link parties
I am sharing this easy roasted red pepper pasta dish with Meat Free Mondays, Free From Fridays and Saucy Saturdays. Also sharing with Fiesta Friday which I am delighted to be co-hosting this week, along with Quinn from Dad What’s 4 Dinner.