This hearty, delicious Roasted Root Vegetable Soup is made from scratch yet takes less time to cook than convenience foods. It’s also gluten free and vegan.
Today I made a side dish and turned it into a soup – a roasted root vegetable soup. I am a big fan of roasted vegetables in general, but root vegetables in particular, as they come out of the oven looking vibrant, full of delicious aroma and sweet nutty flavour. This is exactly how I would describe this soup.
Easy root vegetable soup
I used a somewhat unconventional cooking method in this soup recipe. Rather than throwing all the vegetables in the pot I roasted them first. Every vegetable in this winter root vegetable soup recipe is roasted (including the onion and garlic), which makes it a very uncomplicated, practical sort of dish. Perfect for everyday healthy cooking.
Start by heating up the oil with the bay leaf, then coat the veggies in the mixture and roast for about 30 minutes. This method will infuse the vegetables with more flavour.
Once the vegetables have been roasted the soup itself takes only about 3 minutes to cook. This is as much (or perhaps even less) time that you need to prepare an instant pot noodle soup (even the expensive upmarket variety!). Not only is this soup made from scratch and full of goodness, it is more convenient than convenience food!
Simple hearty roasted root vegetable soup
If you scroll down to the list of ingredients you’ll notice that apart from a bit of turmeric (for colour) I haven’t really used any spices in this soup. This is because it simply doesn’t need it! The roasted vegetables are so delicious they are best enjoyed just as they are, only with a bit of seasoning.
I think a rustic, chunky texture works better than a puree and gives this winter root vegetable soup more character. So I only used a potato masher to break up the vegetables a little, but you could puree it if you prefer.
If you don’t need this recipe to be vegan add a knob of butter or sprinkling of sharp cheese. (Or use a vegan alternative if you prefer). Season generously, garnish with fresh parsley and serve with a slice of dark wheat or rye bread!
This soup tastes delicious the next day too so make a big batch and enjoy later.
More quick soup recipe ideas
If you like this recipe you may also like this simple red vegetable soup. It’s also vegan, gluten free and ready in about 30 minutes. Another super quick and easy soup is this 5-minute vegan sweet potato soup with roasted garlic.
Check out also this collection of easy, nutritious 12 creamy vegan soups!
Roasted Root Vegetable Soup (Vegan)
- 1 carrot
- 1 parsnip
- 1 large potato
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 onion
- celeriac chunk about the size of a large potato
- 2 garlic cloves peeled, whole
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2/3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon course sea salt plus some fine salt for seasoning the veggies, plenty of pepper
- 1 litre hot water
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 F/ 220 C/ gas mark 7. Peel and chop all the vegetables into similar size (large) chunks (apart from the garlic). Place in a large bowl.
- Pour the oil into a large roasting tray, add the bay leaves and pop in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and empty the bowl of vegetables into the tray (hold the bowl with the vegetables close to the tray as you are doing it so you don’t get splashed with hot oil), season with fine sea salt and pepper and quickly turn over with a spatula to ensure all the pieces are coated in the oil. Pop back in the oven and roast for 30 minutes turning over half way.
- Transfer the vegetables into a large pot, add the hot water, 1 teaspoon of coarse sea salt, pepper and turmeric. Cover, bring to boil and simmer for about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, mash with a potato masher until the soup has a thick lumpy consistency, adjust seasoning if necessary, garnish with fresh parsley and serve!
Pin Roasted Root Vegetable Soup (Vegan) for later!