This aromatic fruity Pumpkin Spice Chicken Traybake with Apple and Rooibos recipe is super easy to make, perfect for entertaining.
PUMPKIN SPICE CHICKEN TRAYBAKE
I am a huge fan of pumpkin spice and use it in all sorts of dishes, both sweet and savoury. It works really well in this Pumpkin Spice Skinny Cupcakes with Lemon Icing recipe. But it’s equally delicious in this Turkey Shepherds Pie with Pumpkin and Spiralized Potato. And today I am sharing a super quick and easy Pumpkin Spice Chicken Traybake with Apple and Rooibos.
There are some ingredients I love to experiment with and use in unconventional ways and rooibos is certainly one of them. Yes, I know it’s tea, so it’s meant to be a beverage, mainly, though it can be more than that, as this recipe proves. I have added loose rooibos leaves to the pumpkin spice spice mixture and created this super easy crispy sheet pan chicken recipe.
Rooibos is a very nutritious and tasty beverage which I enjoy in great quantities daily. For more information, including culinary uses of rooibos check out my brief post on What is Rooibos (Red Bush)? Facts and Recipes. Rooibos leaves are tiny and soft (not prickly though they look like they might be), perfect to combine with the pumpkin spice mixture and coat the chicken thighs in. My fragrant rooibos spice mix goes really well with the chicken as well as the sour autumn apple I also used in this recipe.
We are in the apple season and bramley apples are great in so many desserts but they complement savoury dishes too. I left the skin on them so they would keep their shape better and also because the skin is an integral part of the deliciousness of bramley apples.
If you live outside the UK and can’t get bramley apples just use another sour variety.
This healthy chicken traybake is filled with sweet and sour notes and tastes delicious with a generous sprinkling of black pepper. It can be enjoyed on its own or with a side dish of quinoa, couscous or rice. (Don’t forget to add some fresh pomegranate seeds and chopped coriander)
Other easy chicken traybake recipes ideas you might like include this Spinach and Almond Stuffed Chicken Breast with Quinoa and Almonds. This easy meal idea is gluten free, nutritious and surprisingly easy to make. You might also like this Cauliflower Bulgur Wheat Casserole with Honey Chicken and Peaches.
Pumpkin Spice Chicken Traybake with Apple and Rooibos
- 4 chicken thighs patted dry, skin left on
- 1 and 1/2 or 2 bramley apples cut into quarters, cores removed
- 2 red onions peeled, cut into 6 parts each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 2 rooibos teabags
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 garlic cloves peeled, whole
- 1/3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 teaspoon nutmeg
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Coriander and pomegranate seeds for garnish
- In a small bowl empty the contents of the rooibos teabags, add the ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and enough seasoning for 4 chicken thighs. Mix thoroughly and tip onto a large plate. Coat only the skin side of the chicken thighs. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Place the apple pieces in a large baking tray. Set aside.
- In a frying pan heat up the oil and fry the chicken, skin side down only, on a medium/high heat for 5-6 minutes taking care not to burn it. This will get rid of most of the fat in the skin and crisp it up. 3 minutes into the cooking add the garlic and onion pieces (stir a few times as they are frying, but don't stir or turn the chicken over).
- Transfer everything into the baking tray placing the chicken skin side up, sprinkle any remaining spice mixture onto the vegetables, season the whole thing with salt and plenty of pepper, drizzle with a little olive oil and bake for 30 minutes (halfway through you can give the onions a little stir if you like but it's not necessary).
- Serve immediately with pomegranate seeds and freshly chopped coriander.
Pumpkin Spice Chicken Traybake with Apple and Rooibos recipe