Spiralizing is a great way of creating light and colourful dishes as well as including more vegetables in your diet. In today's post I will show you how to make simple and delicious roasted spiralized root vegetables nests.
Find out how to create tasty meals using roasted spiralized vegetables. These vegan root vegetable nests make healthy meals fun, super easy to throw together and above all - delicious!
Root vegetables are especially popular during winter months as they make fantastic ingredients in warming, hearty soups and stews. But they are more versatile than you might think. And there are so many of them around!
Which root vegetables can be spiralized
In this recipe I used a selection of the most popular and easiest to come by root vegetables: carrot, rutabaga swede, sweet potato, beet, celeriac and white potato. (I believe biologists refer to potatoes as 'tubers' but I think they can be considered root vegetables in the culinary context:).
Other root vegetables you can use in the same way include parsnips (pick large ones as they will spiralize better), turnip and basically any other root vegetable you can think of that's big enough to spiralize.
How to use vegetable nests
These spiralized veggie nests make a delicious as well as fantastic looking side dish, and can be enjoyed as they are. With 6 different vegetables in one tray (make more if you use a larger tray!) there'll be something for everyone, even the most fussy eaters. (You can use as many or as few types of vegetables as you like!).
Although delicious as a stand alone side dish these spiralized vegetable nests are super versatile and can be combined with other dishes.
You could enjoy them with a low fat, easy alfredo sauce (see my Skinny Zoodle Alfredo recipe I posted a few days ago). They will also work with other sauces, such as roasted eggplant sauce, parsley pesto or white sauce.
For a light dinner idea try adding these to a pasta dish. Use a little less pasta than normally and as much of the root vegetable noodles as you like. Here is a recipe idea for using spiralized carrots - carrot noodles stir fry.
You might also like
Check out also this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals.
Roasted Spiralized Root Vegetables Nests (Vegan)
- A selection of root vegetables: 1 medium carrot 1 medium beet, 1 small sweet potato, etc (similar size so they cook evenly, peeled or unpeeled), spiralized
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil 1 tablespoon per nest
- Onion and garlic granules and/or dried herbs to sprinkle on top Optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. Arrange the vegetable nests on a baking tray. Season to taste, sprinkle the onion and garlic granules and/or dried herbs over the whole thing (optional), drizzle with olive oil (1 tablespoon per nest) and bake for 20-25 minutes (halfway through raise the temperature to gas mark 6 to crisp them up on top).
- Serve as a side dish, add to stews and sauces.
*Nutritional information is automatically generated and should be considered as an estimate.