These simple salmon amaranth burgers are not only super healthy, but also quick and easy to make and, above all, absolutely delicious! Enjoy with a simple, sharp and zesty radish slaw for a bit of crunch!
These healthy salmon amaranth burgers are a simple, super easy to throw together recipe, ideal for a weeknight dinner. They contain a handful of ingredients and come together in minutes.
How to make healthy salmon amaranth burgers
If you are using frozen salmon place it in a strainer to thaw and easily get rid of excess water first.
Chop the salmon roughly and blitz until fairly smooth. Then simply combine with the rest of the ingredients (reserving a bit of breadcrumbs for coating) and form the burgers. Coat in the breadcrumbs and fry. (Here is how to make homemade breadcrumbs).
This salmon recipe uses raw fish so ensure the burgers are cooked through before serving. (3 minutes over a low/medium heat on each side should be enough. Take care also not to overcook these burgers).
Burgers with amaranth
This is my second burger recipe using amaranth (the first was chicken amaranth burgers) and I cannot recommend this wonderful ingredient enough. It makes the burgers moist and succulent, light and fluffy. It's a bit like Aero chocolate versus ordinary chocolate:) If you are a chocolate fan you will know what I mean.
What to serve with these healthy fish burgers
I love these easy fish burgers with a simple radish slaw. Just combine grated, thinly sliced or spiralized radishes with dill and lemon juice and season to taste. You can also serve these healthy burgers with a dollop of my healthy ranch dip or this easy yogurt dip with lime. My minty guacamole would also work well.
Amaranth can be cooked ahead (and kept in the fridge for up to 3 days). This will shorten preparation time. Check out also my brief post on amaranth facts and cooking tips.
Don't be tempted to grill these fish burgers as they are very low in fat and are likely to get a bit dry on the grill. Better to coat them lightly in breadcrumbs and fry in a little oil.
Horseradish is an ingredient I don't use a lot of, but in this easy salmon burger recipe it works beautifully, improving the flavour and adding a bit of bite to it.
You might also like
Salmon Amaranth Burgers with Radish Slaw
- 500 g salmon filet fresh or frozen, skinless and boneless
- 1 cup cooked amaranth rinsed and drained well
- 1 heaped tablespoon horseradish sauce
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs for coating and 2 for adding to the burger mixture
- 2/3 teaspoon fine sea salt a little less than 1, plus plenty of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons good vegetable oil for the slaw plus a little more for frying
- 250 g radishes grated, sliced or spiralized
- 1 tablespoon dill finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- If you are using frozen salmon filets place them in a strainer to thaw and get rid of excess water. Squeeze any remaining water out.
- Chop up the fish roughly and pulse in a blender to obtain a smooth mixture. Season, add the amaranth, horseradish, breadcrumbs and stir well. Fold in the capers. Form thick (about 2 cm) burgers and coat in the remaining breadcrumbs. Heat up about 2 tablespoons of oil and fry the burgers for 3 minutes on each side over a low/medium heat.
- To make the radish slaw, grate, spiralize or finely slice the radishes, add the dill, lemon juice, oil and seasoning, and stir well to combine.
- Serve the burgers with the radish slaw in your favourite burger buns. Yields 6 large burgers.
*Nutritional information is automatically generated and should be considered as an estimate.