This nutritious salmon and avocado salad with crispy kale comes with a simple zesty lemon dressing. The post also includes instructions for making crispy kale.
This salmon and avocado salad is a great way of using up salmon leftovers and turning them into a delicious lunch. Most of the ingredients can be prepared ahead so the salad itself takes minutes to throw together.
What if I don’t have salmon leftovers
That’s not a problem. Salmon cooks very quickly. All you have to do is season and drizzle your raw salmon fillet with a little oil (and lemon juice if you like) and bake in a preheated oven (375 F) for 12-15 minutes or until fully cooked. Leave to cool, then make the salad.
Alternatively, bake the salmon ahead and once cooled, cover and refrigerate (for up to 2-3 days) until you are ready to make the recipe.
Can I turn this salmon and avocado salad into a salad meal
Yes, you can do so simply by serving it with a bit of quinoa, brown rice or pasta (I recommend orzo as larger pasta might overpower the other ingredients). If you decide to add extras into this salmon avocado salad you might also want to make more dressing.
Can I make the dressing ahead
Absolutely! Simply combine all the ingredients, place in a jar or another air tight container and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Shake well before use.
How to store hard boiled eggs
If you decide to boil the eggs ahead, once cooled, refrigerate them, unpeeled, in a bowl, for up to 2 days. Peel just before making the salad (so the eggs don’t become dry).
How to make crispy kale
Start by removing the tough middle bit of the kale. Then chop the leaves (quite thinly) and spread on top of a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season and drizzle the kale with 1 tablespoon of oil, then rub the leaves between the palms of your hands until they are evenly coated with oil.
Spread over the sheet (so they are not overlapping one another) and bake in a preheated oven for 8-10 minutes (375 F). They are ready when they start browning around the edges and making a rustling sound when you touch them.
Take care not to brown the kale too much as it will taste bitter.
What does crispy kale taste like
Pretty delicious actually! It’s a little sweet and nutty tasting, quite different from raw, and definitely easier to chew! It’s a lot like crispy seaweed, though without the fishy aftertaste (and much cheaper!). It’s fantastic sprinkled over salads.
How to make salmon avocado salad with kale and egg
Once you’ve cooked the salmon, boiled the eggs, made crispy kale and lemon dressing the salad itself takes minutes to put together. Chop or slice the avocado, peel and chop the eggs, combine with the salmon, season to taste and drizzle the dressing over the whole thing. Lastly sprinkle crispy kale over the top just before serving. Enjoy!
What other toppings can I use in salmon and avocado salad
Fresh herbs, such as chives, dill and/or parsley would work well. You could also sprinkle some toasted almond flakes or capers over the top.
More salmon leftovers recipes
Salmon and Avocado Salad with Crispy Kale
- 200-250 g salmon cooked
- 2 small or 1.5 large avocados peeled, deseeded, cubed or sliced
- 100 g kale thinly sliced, tough middle bit removed
- 2 hard boiled eggs peeled, halved or chopped
For the Lemon Dressing
- 3 tbsp good vegetable oil plus 1 for roasting the kale
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp yogurt/Skyr
- 2 tbsp lemon juice plus zest of 1/2 lemon
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C/gas mark 4.
- Make the dressing by combining all the ingredients and stirring until smooth. Season to taste and refrigerate.
- Make crispy kale by spreading the chopped kale over a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Season and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the oil, then rub the kale between the palms of your hands to ensure it’s coated in oil evenly. Spread over the sheet again (the leaves shouldn’t overlap each other) and bake in the centre of the oven for 8-10 minutes. Remove from the oven half way through and give a gentle stir. The kale is ready when it starts turning brown around the edges (take care not to let it brown too much) and makes a rustling sound when you touch it. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool (5 minutes should suffice).
- To make the salad combine the salmon with avocado and eggs, season lightly and drizzle over the dressing. Scatter the crispy kale over the whole thing and serve.
Pin Salmon and Avocado Salad with Crispy Kale