This Pumpkin Spice Cupcake Recipe with Lemon Frosting is full of spice, flavour and zest. Low in sugar, these healthy cupcakes make a delicious lighter dessert or snack.
PUMPKIN SPICE CUPCAKE RECIPE WITH LEMON FROSTING
I went to a Macmillan Coffee Morning today and these pumpkin spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting were my contribution. This is a pretty ‘sugary’ event full of cakes, tarts, scones and other delicious bakes, but there is only so much sugar your system can handle. You simply won’t be able to taste every dessert that’s on the table. That’s why I wanted these cupcakes to be light and low in sugar as most of us would naturally want to try other desserts too (I did!).
The first time I made these easy pumpkin spice cupcakes I was a bit unsure whether using less sugar would affect their texture. Having made them 3 times now I am relieved to say they turned out light and fluffy every time, just as they should be! And sweet enough too!
What is pumpkin spice
If you are not sure what pumpkin spice actually is, well first of all there is no pumpkin in it! It is a combination of spices used for making various autumn type desserts which may or may not include the pumpkin. These spices typically include cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves and nutmeg. I also added a bit of turmeric for colour (you can’t really taste it) to my pumpkin spice mixture.
If you love pumpkin spice you might also like these Dairy Free Pumpkin Brownies. They contain both pumpkin spice as well as pumpkin. Plus lots of delicious dark chocolate chunks! Also check out this simple Pumpkin Ricotta Cake. It is made using raw pumpkin and a moderate amount of sugar. Another fantastic autumnal treat is this Healthy Pumpkin Muffin Recipe with Chocolate Streusel.
The simple lemon frosting is quite low in sugar and uses cream cheese with only a bit of butter in it. So it is low in fat as compared to most icing sugar recipes.
Celebrate the start of autumn with this delicious, easy pumpkin spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting!
If you make these pumpkin spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting I’d love to know how they turned out. Let me know in the comments below. Your feedback is important to me! Thanks:)
Pumpkin Spice Cupcake Recipe with Lemon Frosting
For the cupcakes:
- 170 g butter
- 130 g caster sugar
- 170 g self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2/3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger and turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon each ground nutmeg allspice and ground cloves
For the icing:
- full fat cream cheese about 300g
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 60 g icing sugar
- 1.5 teaspoons lemon extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C/ gas mark 4. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper muffin/cupcake cases.
- Combine the flour and baking powder with the spices and stir well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until the mixture is smooth and pale. Gradually and slowly add the eggs, then the flour mixture and the milk. Continue using the electric mixer only until the ingredients are mixed together well. Spoon the batter evenly into the cupcake cases and bake for 23 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- To make the icing combine the icing ingredients and stir together thoroughly until the mixture is smooth.
Pin this Pumpkin Spice Cupcake Recipe with Lemon Frosting!
MORE BREAKFAST RECIPE IDEAS
Here you will find more easy, healthy and delicious breakfast recipes all in one place. There are ‘sweet’ recipes, savory ones, muffins, frittatas and more.