This delicious Easy Roasted Eggplant Dip is low in fat, gluten free and vegan. Ideal for entertaining or as a healthy snack.
This Easy Roasted Eggplant Dip (Vegan) is my last recipe of the year! It’s great for sharing and I’ve made a big batch for tomorrow’s celebration. I’ve just enjoyed it with carrots and fresh crusty bread and I am happy to say it’s delicious with both!
This roasted eggplant dip recipe is based on the popular Baba Ganoush, which is traditionally baked over an open flame to add a bit of smoky flavour to the pulp. Even though I did not use this method in this recipe the dip still tastes rich and smoky.
I simply added smoked paprika into the dip!
Smoky eggplant dip
I think smoked paprika was created specifically for eggplant! This is one of my favourite flavour pairings and I rarely cook eggplant without adding a sprinkle of smoked paprika. This spice also tastes delicious with cumin, which is traditionally used in Baba Ganoush. I also used cilantro (coriander), which adds freshness and really brings out the flavour of the eggplant.
And that’s really all the spices I’ve used. I’ve also used a bit of tahini, a drizzle of oil and lemon juice and garlic. Just puree the mixture, season to taste and serve!
How to roast eggplant
You can either roast eggplant whole (as I have done in this roasted eggplant pasta sauce recipe) or you can cut in in half before popping in the oven. I chose this method in this recipe, as I wanted to brown the pulp a little for a richer flavour.
Simply cut the eggplant in half lengthways, place on a baking tray open side up, brush with a little oil and bake for about 35 minutes, until tender and browned on top. Let cool, then chop roughly and simply puree with the rest of the ingredients.
This healthy dip recipe is quite robust as I used both the pulp and skin of the eggplant (discarding only the dry bits of the skin). The skin is full of goodness plus nothing gets wasted! This Easy Roasted Eggplant Dip is very low in fat (you only need a bit of oil for brushing the eggplant before it goes in the oven and a bit for drizzling at the end) yet has a creamy texture and rich flavour. And it’s vegan too!
If you are a fan of eggplant you may also like this easy roasted tomato dip. with eggplant.
This roasted eggplant dip is delicious served with raw vegetables and pita bread. It also tastes fantastic with white meats, such as chicken and turkey, especially grilled. Try it with easy Moroccan spiced chicken kebabs, or these 4-ingredient chicken meatballs.
More easy dip recipes
You may also like these other healthy dip recipes:
I’ll be back on Monday with another healthy recipe to welcome the New Year!
Easy Roasted Eggplant Dip (Vegan)
- 2 small/medium eggplants
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each cumin powder and smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon tahini sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander, cilantro, finely chopped
- Olive oil for drizzling and coating the aubergine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Cut the eggplants in half lengthways, brush the open sides with oil, place on a baking tray (open side up) and bake for 35 minutes (± 5 minutes depending on the size of the eggplants) until tender and nicely browned on top.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Chop roughly (discarding only the dry pieces of the skin, if there are any), combine with the rest of the ingredients and puree.
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary, drizzle with a little oil and serve. Great with raw vegetables or flatbread.
Pin Easy Roasted Eggplant Dip (Vegan)!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I shared this Easy Roasted Eggplant Dip (Vegan) recipe with Saucy Saturdays.