This simple, vegan Roasted Eggplant Tomato Pasta Sauce with Pepper is delicious with any pasta and so easy to put together it’s perfect to make on a busy weeknight.
This roasted eggplant tomato sauce is rich and tangy yet it is made with only a small amount of olive oil and contains no dairy. This rich and delicious flavour is a result of roasting the vegetables before adding them to the sauce.
Prepping the eggplant (aubergine)
Eggplant can be prepared in lots of different ways depending on your recipe. For example I fried it quickly in a little oil for this roasted tomato salad. In this eggplant pasta bake recipe I fried it before combining with the other ingredients and baking in the oven. I’ve also made a baked stuffed eggplant recipe with turkey, which is also low in fat though requires a little more time to prepare.
In this healthy vegan pasta sauce recipe the eggplant is baked whole in order to avoid using too much oil as we tend to do when frying this vegetable. Just pop in the oven for about 40 minutes, or until the eggplant is tender. It’s really as simple as that.
The addition of the roasted pepper adds lots of natural sweetness to this eggplant sauce, making it ideal for people who are not very keen on eggplant. The eggplant blends in extremely well with the other ingredients and is very subtle. None of my children are very keen on this vegetable yet they unanimously declared that this was my best pasta sauce ever!
Roasting the vegetables prior to making this eggplant tomato sauce does mean that you’ll need a bit of time to prepare it. But all the steps in this recipe are so simple and the results so fantastic it’s really worth spending the extra bit of time roasting the vegetables first.
Anyway, if you cook your pasta while the vegetables are in the oven then once they come out the sauce itself can be ready in as little as 15 minutes. Which is not bad for a recipe made from scratch!
I love using smoked paprika with recipes containing eggplant. The smoked paprika adds depth and tastes fantastic in this sauce. Enjoy!
More vegan eggplant recipes
If you are looking for more easy vegan eggplant meal ideas you might also like this Eggplant Tomato Casserole with Beans. In this recipe I first roasted the eggplant whole, then chopped it and added into the casserole. Check out also this aromatic Spicy Vegan Eggplant Casserole with Thai Basil.
If you love roasted pepper you might like this Healthy Turkey Meatballs Recipe with Red Pepper Pasta Sauce.
Check out also this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals.
Roasted Eggplant Tomato Pasta Sauce with Pepper (Vegan)
- Cooked pasta of your choice enough for 4 people
- 1 medium/large eggplant
- 1 large red bell pepper cut in half, seeds removed
- 4 garlic cloves unpeeled
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 medium/large tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2/3 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Place the eggplant, pepper and garlic on a baking tray and pop in the oven (the pepper needs 20 minutes, the eggplant and garlic - 35-40 minutes). In the meantime cook your pasta.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven. Cut the eggplant lengthways and scoop out the soft flesh (use a large spoon or melon baller). Alternatively, if the skin is not too dry you could add it to the sauce as well. Remove the skin from the pepper if possible and roughly chop. Also remove the skin from the garlic (just give it a squeeze and it should pop out easily)
- In a pot heat up the oil, then add the onion and saute for 2 minutes stirring often. Add the eggplant (with or without the skin), tomatoes, garlic and wine and cook on a medium/high heat for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the pepper, tomato puree, smoked paprika and seasoning, then cover, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and puree. If the sauce is too thick add a couple of tablespoons of the water from cooking the pasta. Serve with your choice of pasta.