This Parsley and Avocado Pesto Pasta is an all-season, healthy, delicious vegetarian family dinner idea. It requires few ingredients and only about 15 minutes of your time.
I find that when it comes to family meals simplicity is key. An ideal weeknight family dinner should be quick and easy, as well as delicious and healthy. With this simple vegetarian Parsley and Avocado Pesto Pasta this can be easily achieved. You’ll have a fantastic meal made from scratch without spending hours in the kitchen!
Easy family meal
The only ingredient that requires cooking in this parsley pesto recipe is the pasta! And while the spaghetti is bubbling away you can prepare the sauce. So that by the time the pasta comes out of the pot you can toss it straight into the sauce.
The pesto is actually ready in less time that’s needed to cook the pasta (al dente too!). All the ingredients are basically whizzed up together into a semi smooth, rich, fabulously nutritious sauce. This will take you only a few minutes to do. And that’s really all there is to it!
Garnish with roasted tomatoes if you like to add colour and sweet/sour notes to this simple dish.
What oil to use to make the parsley pesto with avocado
I am a huge fan of olive oil but in some recipes I find vegetable oil works better. Olive oil can be a little overpowering so I tend to use it sparingly in its raw form. This recipe requires quite a bit of oil and I chose rapeseed for its subtle sweet nutty notes. Having said that a very mild variety of olive oil might work well too. This depends on personal preference. You might also like to use a combination of vegetable and olive oils.
Storing parsley avocado pesto
You can store any leftover sauce in an airtight container the fridge for a couple of days. The sauce might lose its bright green colour after that.
How else can you use parsley pesto with avocado
This versatile sauce can also be served as a dip alongside fresh crusty bread or raw vegetables. You can also drizzle it over pizzas and add to other dishes, especially tomato based. Try for example serving it alongside this easy Mediterranean butternut squash casserole. It also goes really well with chicken dishes, such as chicken meatballs, chicken tenders or chicken wrap recipes.
You could also drizzle this avocado pesto sauce over roasted vegetables. It is delicious with this roasted pepper oregano pasta.
More pesto recipe ideas
Parsley and Avocado Pesto Pasta
- Spaghetti cooked al dente in salted water with 1 bay leaf (for 4 people)
- 40 g parsley finely chopped
- 2/3 cup good vegetable oil or mild tasting olive
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- Flesh of 1 and 1/2 avocadoes
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese or other hard Italian cheese
- Sea salt and plenty of pepper to taste
- Roasted tomatoes for garnish optional
- Combine the oil, garlic and parsley and process in a blender for 2 minutes. Add the cheese and avocado and puree for another minute or so. Season well and spoon a desired amount onto individual portions of the pasta. Garnish with roasted tomatoes if you like.
- Store any leftover pesto in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Pin Parsley and Avocado Pesto Pasta
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing my Avocado Pesto Spaghetti with Parsley to #SaucySaturdays. The hosts are: La Petit Chef, Mid-Life Croissant, Take Two Tapas, and The Flavor Bender. Also sharing with Pasta Please hosted by thinlyspread.co.uk. I’ve also shared it with Meat Free Mondays hosted by tinnedtomatoes.com.