As promised in my previous post today I am sharing a recipe that is ideal served with my Low Fat Ranch Dipping Sauce – Spiced Potato Wedges. I used to make plain wedges/chips, with just a bit of salt and pepper, which everyone in the family seemed to accept, not with much enthusiasm though. With a little help from a handful of popular spices, which I am sure you will be able to find in your kitchen cupboard, plain unexciting potato wedges are completely transformed – they are full of flavour and deliciously moreish and have become a firm favourite with the whole family. And that’s on their own! They are absolutely gorgeous served with my Low Fat Ranch Dipping Sauce!
These wedges are quite small (6-8 per potato) and there are 2 reasons for this: one is that they cook faster than thicker wedges, and the other is that with smaller wedges you can really taste all the flavours from the spices.
Once peeled and cut into wedges, the potatoes release quite a bit of moisture. To get rid of this moisture line a large bowl with a couple of paper towels, place the wedges in the bowl and wipe them as thoroughly as you can (see my Instructions below on how to do this). I tend to use ordinary white potatoes, nothing fancy, though I wouldn’t recommend using new potatoes as they contain quite a bit of moisture.
This is quite a straightforward recipe, not tricky at all, just remember to preheat the oven and bake these wedges at a high temperature so they crisp up nicely on the outside and stay soft on the inside. Turn them over once halfway through. It is also important to remember not to overcrowd the baking tray.
You can use your own seasoning mixture of course – the spices I use are popular with my own family, but we all have different preferences.
Enjoy these Spiced Potato Wedges straight from the oven, with my Low Fat Ranch Dipping Sauce or another tangy, refreshing sauce of your choice. They make a fantastic side dish or snack the whole family will love!
See a selection of Side Dishes < HERE >
This recipe was shared with Sew It Cook It Craft It, Fiesta Friday, co-hosted this week by Petra @ Food Eat Love and Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook, One Potato Two Potato, Meat Free Mondays, Recipe of the Week
Yields 4 portions
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 teaspoon each coriander and cumin powders
- ½ teaspoon each cayenne pepper, garlic and onion powders
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. You will need a large baking tray (non-stick is best).
- Combine all the spices and mix them well (not the salt). Set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into wedges, 6-8 per potato (they won't all look identical but should have similar thickness). Line a large bowl with 2 sheets of paper towel (they should stick outside the bowl), put the wedges in the bowl, toss, then bring the opposite ends of the paper towels together and pat the wedges dry until all the moisture has been removed (the towels will be wet through). Use another towel if you need to, then discard all the used sheets.
- Sprinkle the wedges with some salt and the spice mixture, drizzle with oil and using a spatula or your hands mix together until all the wedges have been evenly coated in the spice and oil mixture.
- Spread the wedges in the baking tray without overcrowding it. Bake for 30 minutes or until the wedges have lightly browned, turning them over once halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and serve with my Low Fat Ranch Dipping Sauce or a sauce of your choice.