These healthy Homemade Spiced Baked Potato Wedges are full of flavour, deliciously moreish and taste gorgeous with my low fat ranch dip.
As promised in my previous post today I am sharing a recipe that is ideal served with my low fat ranch dip – homemade spiced baked potato wedges. I used to make plain wedges with just a bit of salt and pepper, which everyone in the family seemed to accept, but without much enthusiasm.
With a little help from a handful of popular spices plain unexciting potato wedges are completely transformed. They are full of flavour and deliciously moreish and have become a firm favourite with the whole family.
How to make homemade baked potato wedges
Once peeled and cut into wedges, the potatoes release quite a bit of moisture. To get rid of excess moisture first line a large bowl with a couple of paper towels. Place the wedges in the bowl and wipe them as thoroughly as you can (see my Instructions below on how to do this). Then simply add the seasoning, oil, stir, tip onto a large oven tray and bake!
I tend to use ordinary white potatoes, nothing fancy, though I wouldn’t recommend using new potatoes as they contain quite a lot of moisture.
I’ve included a few photos to better illustrate the easy preparation steps. I hope you find them useful:
Place the wedges in a bowl lined with paper towels and remove excess moisture.
Add spices and oil and and stir thoroughly.
Spread on a large non-stick baking tray, without overcrowding it. Bake!
Things to remember
This is quite a straightforward recipe, not tricky at all. Just remember to preheat the oven and bake these homemade potato wedges on the top oven shelf so they crisp up nicely on the outside and stay soft on the inside. Turn them over once halfway through. Remember also not to overcrowd the baking tray so the wedges cook evenly.
You can use your own seasoning mixture of course. The spices I used are popular with my own family, but we all have different preferences. So go with your favourite spices!
Enjoy these delicious homemade baked potato wedges straight from the oven! They go really well with lots of different dips, such as this healthy barbecue sauce. or tangy roasted red pepper tomato dip. They are equally delicious with my low fat ranch dip as well as this refreshing minty guacamole.
Homemade Spiced Baked Potato Wedges (Healthy)
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1 teaspoon each coriander and cumin powders
- ½ teaspoon each garlic and onion powders
- 1/3 teaspoon each fine sea salt and cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. You will need a large non-stick baking tray.
- Combine all the spices and mix them well. Set aside.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into wedges, 5-6 per potato (they won't all look identical but should have similar thickness). Line a large bowl with 2 sheets of paper towel (they should stick outside the bowl), put the wedges in the bowl, toss, then bring the opposite ends of the paper towels together and pat the wedges dry until all the moisture has been removed (the towels will be wet through). Use another towel if you need to, then discard all the used towels.
- Sprinkle the wedges with the spice mixture, drizzle with oil and using a spatula or your hands mix together until all the wedges have been evenly coated in the spice and oil mixture.
- Spread the wedges in the baking tray without overcrowding it (see photo above). Bake on the top oven shelf for 35-40 minutes, turning them over once halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately, either with my Low Fat Ranch Dipping Sauce or a sauce of your choice. They taste great on their own too!
Pin Homemade Spiced Baked Potato Wedges (Healthy)
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I shared these healthy Homemade Spiced Baked Potato Wedges with Sew It Cook It Craft It and Fiesta Friday, co-hosted by Petra @ Food Eat Love and Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook.Also shared with One Potato Two Potato, Meat Free Mondays, Recipe of the Week.