Stay warm this winter with this nourishing creamy spinach and bean soup. It’s gluten free, vegan and ready in just over 30 minutes!
This creamy spinach and bean soup ticks so many boxes! In addition to being super quick and easy to make it is full of delicious plant goodness, colour and warming spice. Perfect for cold winter evenings.
Why is the spinach added towards the end of cooking
Whenever I set out to write a new recipe I always consider both the flavour and the colour of my dish. I believe flavour and colour go hand in hand and eating something that looks vibrant can greatly enhance our culinary experience.
This spinach soup is all about green of course. In order to preserve more nutrients and the lovely green colour of the spinach (as well as the flavour!) I added it to the pot 3 minutes before the soup was fully cooked. I used the same method in this vegan green pea soup with spinach, as well as creamy broccoli spinach soup. Both times with the same fantastic results.
What beans can I use in this spinach bean soup
Any white bean variety would work. I chose flageolet beans for this recipe as they have a nice light greenish colour, so they paired really well with the spinach. You can use canned beans as well as dry beans (if you choose the latter soak the beans overnight and then cook until tender – usually 1-1.5 hours).
Add the water gradually
When you are adding the remainder of the water towards the end of cooking do so gradually so your soup isn’t too runny.
Enjoy and stay warm this winter!
Check out also this collection of 12 creamy vegan soups!
Creamy Spinach and Bean Soup
- 200 g fresh spinach
- 1 x 400g tin flageolet beans or white beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 medium potatoes cubed
- ½ green hot chilli with seeds, chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 small leek chopped
- 1 small celery stalk chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 litre hot water
- 2/3 tablespoon coarse see salt a little less than 1 tablespoon
- Serve with toasted pine nuts lightly browned garlic slices, chia seeds, sour cream or croutons (all optional)
- In a large pot heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, onion, garlic, chilli, stir and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the leek, celery, beans and potatoes, stir and continue cooking (over a medium heat) for 2 more minutes. Add 750 ml of the hot water, salt, stir, cover and bring to boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach, the rest of the hot water (you may want to add a little less so add it gradually until it has the right consistency), stir, cover and bring to boil again (you might have to turn up the heat at this point). Lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, take out the bay leaf and puree the soup until smooth. See serving suggestions above.
Pin Creamy Spinach and Bean Soup
Recipe link parties
I am bringing this spicy creamy spinach bean soup to #CookBlogShare. Also sharing with Cook Once Eat Twice, Free From Fridays, Fiesta Friday, co-hosted by Lily @ Little Sweet Baker and Judi @ cookingwithauntjuju.com.