Stay warm this winter with this nourishing creamy spinach and bean soup. It’s gluten free, vegan and ready in just over 30 minutes!
This creamy spinach and bean soup ticks so many boxes! In addition to being super quick and easy to make it is full of delicious plant goodness, colour and warming spice. Perfect for cold winter evenings.
Whenever I set out to write a new recipe I always consider both the flavour and the colour of my dish. I believe flavour and colour go hand in hand and eating something that looks vibrant can greatly enhance our culinary experience.
This easy spinach soup is all about green of course. In order to preserve more nutrients and the lovely green colour of the spinach (as well as the flavour!) I added it into the pot 3 minutes before the soup was fully cooked.
What beans can I use in spinach and bean soup
Any white bean variety would work. I chose flageolet beans for this recipe as they have a nice light greenish colour, so they paired really well with the spinach. You can use canned beans as well as dry beans (if you choose the latter soak the beans overnight and then cook until tender – usually 1-1.5 hours).
How to make creamy spinach soup with beans
This vegan spinach soup is packed full of vegetables and does not require using a stock cube. Start making the soup by frying the onion, garlic and chilli with the bay leaf in a little oil. Then add the beans and vegetables (not the spinach) and continue cooking for a couple of more minutes. Pour in some of the water, season, bring to the boil, then simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
As I mentioned earlier I added the spinach towards the end of cooking. Add more water, cook for another 3 minutes, then remove from the heat, puree and serve.
Add the water gradually
When you are adding the remainder of the water towards the end of cooking do so gradually so your soup isn’t too runny. You may not need to add all of the water.
Enjoy and stay warm this winter!
What to serve with vegan spinach bean soup
Toasted pine nuts, hazelnuts or sunflower seeds, as well as chia seeds make great toppings for this healthy cream of spinach soup. You can add a dollop of sour cream (for a vegetarian option), healthy croutons or serve it with homemade whole wheat breadsticks.
Check out also this collection of 12 creamy vegan soups!
Freeze in batches in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Creamy Spinach and Bean Soup
- 200 g fresh spinach
- 1 x 400g tin flageolet beans or white beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 medium potatoes cubed
- ½ green hot chilli with seeds, chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 small leek chopped
- 1 small celery stalk chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 litre hot water
- 2/3 tablespoon coarse see salt a little less than 1 tablespoon
- Serve with toasted pine nuts lightly browned garlic slices, chia seeds, sour cream or croutons (all optional)
- In a large pot heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, onion, garlic, chilli, stir and cook for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the leek, celery, beans and potatoes, stir and continue cooking (over a medium heat) for 2 more minutes. Add 750 ml of the hot water, salt, stir, cover and bring to boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the spinach, the rest of the hot water (you may want to add a little less so add it gradually until it has the right consistency), stir, cover and bring to boil again (you might have to turn up the heat at this point). Lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, take out the bay leaf and puree the soup until smooth. See serving suggestions above.