This vibrant Spinach Pea Soup with Skinny Croutons is one of the simplest and easiest to make soup recipes I’ve posted on the blog so far. It is gluten free (if you use gluten free bread to make the croutons), dairy free, vegan and the only ingredients that require chopping are the garlic, onion and celery – all the chopping will be done in no more than 3 minutes. As the soup is bubbling away you can start making the croutons.
Croutons make a great addition to pureed soups, adding a bit of crunch and spice and not necessarily too many calories. If you ever fried bread before you will know it absorbs fat like a sponge – it will be crispy but all the fat you’ve used to fry it in will have been absorbed, which can make it a little greasy on the inside. These croutons are still crispy and crunchy on the outside but light and certainly not greasy on the inside. You can serve them plain or sprinkle with a little seasoning if you prefer (see my serving suggestions below).
This soup owes its vibrant green colour to its two main ingredients – peas and spinach. It’s important to add the spinach towards the end of the cooking (once the peas have softened) so it doesn’t lose its beautiful green colour and fresh delicious taste.
This soup will not be very thick to start with but will thicken as it stands – if you want to enjoy leftovers the next day you may have to add a bit of water to it (1-2 tablespoons should be enough).
If you like this soup you may also like these SOUP RECIPES!
I am sharing this Spinach Pea Soup with Skinny Croutons with Recipe of the Week, #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Eb@Easy Peasy Foodie, Fiesta Friday, co-hosted by Laurena @ Life Diet Health and Trupti @ My Culinary Saga
Yields 6 portions
5 minPrep Time
35 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 300g green split peas
- 150g fresh spinach
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ½ celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (plus 2 more for the croutons)
- 5 cups (approx. 1l and 250 ml) hot water
- 1level teaspoon coarse sea salt (plus fine salt for seasoning the croutons), pepper to taste
- 2 slices of bread (any), slightly stale works well, cut into cubes
- For the croutons: sprinkle of garlic/onion granules, sea salt and pepper, drizzle of lime/lemon juice (all optional)
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil, add the bay leaf, garlic, onion and celery and fry over a medium heat for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the peas, stir and continue cooking for 2 more minutes stirring from time to time.
- Pour in 3 cups of the hot water, add the salt, plenty of pepper, bring to boil, then cover, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the spinach, add the remaining hot water, cover and bring to boil again and continue cooking for 5 more minutes. Remove from the heat, take out the bay leaf and puree the soup. Taste to adjust the seasoning, cover and set aside.
- To make the croutons, in a large frying pan heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil, toss in the bread, season lightly and stir. Fry over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring often until the croutons begin to crisp up and brown a little (they are now ready to serve if you want them plain). If you would like to add seasoning sprinkle over the garlic and onion granules, drizzle a little lime/lemon juice, give another stir and fry for 20 more seconds. Serve.
If You Like It Pin It!