This healthy, vibrant Vegan Green Pea Soup with Spinach is gluten free and super easy to make. Delicious served with homemade skinny croutons – recipe included.
This vibrant vegan green pea soup with spinach is one of the simplest and easiest to make soup recipes I’ve posted on the blog so far. It is gluten free (if you use gluten free bread to make the croutons), dairy free and vegan.
How to make easy vegan green pea soup
The only ingredients in this pea soup that require chopping are the garlic, onion and celery. (All the chopping will be done in no more than 3 minutes).
Start by frying your chopped ingredients with the bay leaf in a little oil. Add in the peas and continue cooking for a couple of minutes. Add some of the water, season, cover, bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the peas are tender. Add the spinach, the rest of the water, bring to boil again and cook for another 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and puree the soup.
This easy vegan soup owes its vibrant green colour to its two main ingredients – peas and spinach. I have added the spinach towards the end of cooking in order to preserve its vibrant colour, flavour and nutritional benefits. This method worked well in broccoli spinach soup as well as spinach and bean soup.
If you like this recipe you might also like this easy split pea soup with arugula. I have used a similar method of adding the arugula towards the end of cooking for better flavour and colour.
As the soup is bubbling away you can start making the croutons.
Easy homemade croutons
Croutons make a great addition to pureed soups, adding a bit of crunch and spice and not necessarily too many calories. If you ever fried bread before you will know it absorbs fat like a sponge. It will be crispy but all the fat you’ve used to fry it in will have been absorbed, which can make it a little greasy on the inside. These healthy croutons are still crispy and crunchy on the outside but light and certainly not greasy on the inside. You can serve them plain or sprinkle with a little seasoning if you prefer (see my serving suggestions below).
To make the croutons simply fry the bread cubes in a little oil until they crisp up for 3-4 minutes. Add seasoning and serve. It’s really that simple.
This vegan green pea soup will not be very thick to start with but will thicken as it stands. If you want to enjoy leftovers the next day you may have to add a bit of water to it (1-2 tablespoons should be enough).
More easy creamy soups
Check out ALL my creamy vegan soups recipes!
Vegan Green Pea Soup with Spinach & Skinny Croutons
- 300 g green split peas
- 150 g fresh spinach
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- ½ celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus 2 more for the croutons
- 5 cups approx. 1l and 250 ml hot water
- 1 level teaspoon coarse sea salt plus fine salt for seasoning the croutons, pepper to taste
- 2 slices of bread any, slightly stale works well, cut into cubes
- For the croutons: sprinkle of garlic/onion granules sea salt and pepper, drizzle of lime/lemon juice (all optional)
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil, add the bay leaf, garlic, onion and celery and fry over a medium heat for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add the peas, stir and continue cooking for 2 more minutes stirring from time to time.
- Pour in 3 cups of the hot water, add the salt, plenty of pepper, bring to boil, then cover, lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the peas are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the spinach, add the remaining hot water, cover and bring to boil again and continue cooking for 5 more minutes. Remove from the heat, take out the bay leaf and puree the soup. Taste to adjust the seasoning, cover and set aside.
- To make the croutons, in a large frying pan heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil, toss in the bread, season lightly and stir. Fry over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring often until the croutons begin to crisp up and brown a little (they are now ready to serve if you want them plain). If you would like to add seasoning sprinkle over the garlic and onion granules, drizzle a little lime/lemon juice, give another stir and fry for 20 more seconds. Serve.
Pin this Vegan Pea Soup with Spinach and Skinny Croutons
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am sharing this Vegan Green Pea Soup with Spinach & Skinny Croutons with Recipe of the Week, #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Eb@Easy Peasy Foodie. Also sharing with Fiesta Friday, co-hosted by Laurena @ Life Diet Health and Trupti @ My Culinary Saga.