These simple, easy to make and nutritious Spiralized Carrot and Wholewheat Noodles make a delicious vegetarian main or side dish. These low carb noodles take only 15 minutes to make!
Why use a spiralizer in this recipe
There are several reasons why I used a spiralizer in this Spiralized Carrot and Wholewheat Noodles recipe.
Spiralized vegetables cook very quickly, retaining more nutrients and richness of flavour than cooked vegetables tend to have.
Thanks to combining wheat noodles with spiralized carrot this dish has much less calories than an ordinary noodle dish. Plus it’s more nutritious!
I also think using a spiralizer in vegetable dishes gives them an extra special quality which neither chopping nor grating or slicing could ever provide. This veggie noodles dish essentially consist of just carrot and noodles, and really wouldn’t be as appealing if the carrots were simply chopped.
This is not an Asian inspired recipe despite the fact that I used noodles and a wok. The reason for using a wok is that it’s very effective in distributing heat quickly and evenly especially with large volume dishes (the spiralized carrots take up a lot of space!). But you can use a large frying pan if you prefer.
My original intention was to use buckwheat noodles, which, although delicious, are very expensive. So in the end I opted for a more affordable alternative – wholewheat egg noodles. I recommend using wholewheat rather than standard noodles, as they taste fantastic with the sweet carrots (in addition to being the healthier option).
What oil to use
The choice of oil is important in this carrot noodle dish as it’s not only used for cooking but is also added raw to the ready dish. So the flavour should complement the other ingredients without overpowering them.
Olive oil has a very distinct, strong (usually) flavour so I chose extra virgin cold pressed rapeseed oil, which has a mild, pretty neutral flavour, perfect in this dish. It also happens to have half the saturated fat of olive oil (I am not a nutrition expert but this to me sounds like a good quality in oil, or it wouldn’t be advertised on the bottle). (It also has a very high smoke point so it’s great for frying). You can use another good quality vegetable oil if you prefer.
Why does olive oil always steal the spotlight? No idea.
You may also like my post including 15 Easy Veggie Spaghetti Spiralizer Recipes.
Spiralized Carrot and Wholewheat Noodles
- 2 large carrots peeled
- 2 wholewheat noodle nests
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin cold pressed rapeseed oil
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 2 handfuls rocket leaves arugula
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Walnut oil for drizzling recommended
- Boil the noodles in salted water according to packet instructions (only 5-6 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- While the noodles are boiling prepare the rest of the ingredients. In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons of rapeseed oil with the orange zest. Set aside.
- Spiralize the carrots. In a wok heat up 3 tablespoons of rapeseed oil, add the garlic and carrot, season and fry over a medium heat for a couple of minutes stirring constantly (lower the heat if the garlic begins to brown too much).
- Remove from the heat, add the rocket leaves, noodles, pour in the oil and orange zest mixture and stir well to combine. Adjust the seasoning, drizzle with a bit of walnut oil (recommended) and serve. Makes 2 portions (as a main dish)
Pin Spiralized Carrot and Wholewheat Noodles
KEEP IN TOUCH
RECIPE LINK PARTIES