These delicious Strawberry French Toast Muffins are super easy to make, low in sugar, perfect for when you want your breakfast to be a little less ordinary.
Today on the blog a breakfast recipe – Strawberry French Toast Muffins. I love creating new ways of enjoying classic recipes, especially ones I really love, such as French toast. Yes, I do love French toast served traditionally but I also think this simple concept of soaking bread in egg and milk before cooking can be used in many other ways.
One example is this Healthy Chocolate French Toast with Raspberries, which I posted several months ago. I added cacao and raspberries into the classic egg and milk mixture, which transformed an ordinary French toast into a really special breakfast dish.
Check out also this Healthy French Toast Casserole with Bananas. It is a great alternative to banana bread if you’ve got overripe bananas. My Low Sugar French Toast Casserole with Blueberries is packed full of fibre and fruity goodness. There is no need to add any toppings!
Is this French toast recipe healthy?
Absolutely! This recipe is low in fat as well as sugar – strawberries are naturally sweet so I only added 1 tablespoon of sugar into the egg mixture and then sprinkled a bit of Demerara on top of the muffins.
I also used a special ingredient which not only added sweetness to this recipe but lots of delicious strawberry flavour. Freeze dried strawberries! They have an intense strawberry flavour, which makes them ideal to add to bakes. (Another recipe where I’ve used this ingredient are these healthy strawberry cheesecake bites with white chocolate).
These healthy french toast muffins with strawberries taste fantastic with maple syrup of course, but a little drizzle should be enough.
How to make strawberry french toast muffins
This French toast muffin recipe is quite simple. It combines the classic French toast ingredients with fresh strawberries, which are first pureed until smooth and then added into the egg mixture.
Start by pureeing the strawberries with the milk.
In a large bowl beat the eggs with the sugar (not the demerara), pour in the strawberry mixture and vanilla extract. Toss int the bun pieces, stir and set aside for 10 minutes. Just before spooning the mixture into the muffin tin/ramekins stir in the freeze dried strawberries. Sprinkle with the demerara and bake for 25 minutes.
Check out also this collection of 18 healthy, easy vegetable breakfast recipes.
Strawberry French Toast Muffins
- 2 medium rolls/buns soft
- 3 large eggs
- 250 g fresh strawberries
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 70 g semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 7 g freeze dried strawberries
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling on top
- A little butter for greasing the muffin pan/ramekins
- Maple syrup for serving
- In a blender (I used Optimum VAC2 Air Vacuum Blender but you can use any) puree the strawberries with the milk until smooth.
- Beat together the eggs and sugar (not the demerara) for about 2 minutes until fluffy. Gently fold in the strawberry mixture and vanilla extract. Break up the rolls into smallish pieces and toss into the wet ingredients. Stir to combine and set aside for about 10 minutes (stir the mixture again after 5 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. Lightly grease 6 ramekins or a muffin pan.
- Pour the freeze dried strawberries into the mixture and quickly stir to combine. Spoon equal amounts of the mixture into the ramekins/ muffin pan, sprinkle each with a little demerara sugar and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, leave to cool for a couple of minutes, and serve, while still hot, with a drizzle of maple syrup.