STRAWBERRY VANILLA FRENCH TOAST MUFFINS
Today on the blog a breakfast recipe – Strawberry Vanilla French Toast Muffins. I love creating new ways of enjoying classic recipes, especially ones I really love, such as French toast. Yes, I do love French toast served traditionally but I also think this simple concept of soaking bread in egg and milk before cooking can be used in many other ways. One example is this Raspberry Chocolate French Toast Skillet, which I posted several months ago – I added cacao and raspberries into the classic egg and milk mixture, which transformed an ordinary French toast into a really special breakfast dish.
These Strawberry Vanilla French Toast Muffins are another ‘special occasion’ breakfast recipe. This time I created individual portions, which can be baked in a muffin pan of ramekins if you prefer. They would make a perfect addition to a Valentine’s Day breakfast menu – while they are in the oven you can get on with the rest of your cooking.
The recipe is quite simple actually. It combines the classic French toast ingredients with fresh strawberries, which are first pureed until smooth and then added into the egg mixture. I used my Optimum VAC2 Air Vacuum Blender to make the strawberry ‘smoothie’ but you can use any other blender. However, if you are thinking of getting a new blender you may be interested in reading my review of this particular blender > HERE.
This link will provide additional information:
This recipe is low in fat as well as sugar – strawberries are naturally sweet (and I also used a good amount of freeze dried strawberries, which are sweeter than fresh) so I only added 1 tablespoon of sugar into the egg mixture and then sprinkled a bit of Demerara on top of the muffins. They taste fantastic with maple syrup of course, but a little drizzle should be enough.
Check out these other Healthy Breakfast recipe ideas:)
I am bringing my Strawberry Vanilla French Toast Muffins to Fiesta Friday, co-hosted this week by Laurena @ Life Diet Health and Jhuls @ The Not So Creative Cook #CookBlogShare, hosted this week by Eb@ Easy Peasy Foodie
#This post contains affiliate links.
Yields 6 muffins
15 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 medium rolls/buns (soft)
- 3 large eggs
- 250 g fresh strawberries
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 70 g semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 7 g freeze dried strawberries
- Demerara sugar for sprinkling on top
- A little butter for greasing the muffin pan/ramekins
- Maple syrup for serving
- In a blender (I used Optimum VAC2 Air Vacuum Blender but you can use any) puree the strawberries with the milk until smooth.
- Beat together the eggs and sugar (not the demerara) for about 2 minutes until fluffy. Gently fold in the strawberry mixture and vanilla extract. Break up the rolls into smallish pieces and toss into the wet ingredients. Stir to combine and set aside for about 10 minutes (stir the mixture again after 5 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. Lightly grease 6 ramekins or a muffin pan.
- Pour the freeze dried strawberries into the mixture and quickly stir to combine. Spoon equal amounts of the mixture into the ramekins/ muffin pan, sprinkle each with a little demerara sugar and bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven, leave to cool for a couple of minutes, and serve, while still hot, with a drizzle of maple syrup.
Looking for healthy Valentine’s Day Breakfast ideas? Here is one, Pin It:)