This easy Stuffed Avocado with Salsa & Beans combines popular Mexican flavours creating a healthy and delicious appetizer, snack or light lunch. Serve with nachos.
This Stuffed Avocado with Salsa & Beans is a Mexican inspired super easy to make, delicious appetizer or light lunch. I am a huge fan of all Mexican flavours and salsa and guacamole are definitely at the top of my ‘Mexican favourites’ list. Turns out avocado actually goes really well with salsa, and not necessarily in the form of guacamole. Just fill avocado halves with a generous amount of the salsa, scatter over the black beans (and drizzle with a bit of oil if you like) and enjoy!
Prepping the salsa
The most labour intensive preparation step in this recipe involves making the salsa. You’ll have to do a bit of chopping but the final step of combining the ingredients is done in a blender. Process only to combine, take care not turn the mixture into mush.
The salsa can be served straight away but if you have a bit of time it is a good idea to pop it in the fridge for 30 minutes to let it set and thicken.
I do not recommend preparing the salsa the night before. Salsa tastes best when it’s freshly made so my advice is to serve it no later than 2-3 hours after making it. Remember to keep it in the fridge.
What beans to use
You can either use black beans from a can (strained and rinsed) or cook your own from raw. If you choose the latter remember to soak them in water overnight and then boil until tender for 1-1.5 hours).
Making the stuffed avocado
When you’ve made the salsa and are ready to put the recipe together prepare the avocado. Cut the avocado in half lengthwise, remove the seed and the peel. Place a generous amount of the salsa in the avocado halves, scatter over the beans and drizzle with a little oil (optional).
More Mexican inspired recipes
Stuffed Avocado with Salsa & Beans
- 2 medium avocados seed removed, peeled, halved
- 4 tablespoons black beans from a can or cooked
For the salsa you will need:
- 3-4 medium/large tomatoes roughly chopped, excess water removed
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- 2 scallions/green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime/lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon good vegetable oil
- 1 red chilli pepper finely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place all the salsa ingredients in a blender and process for a few seconds just enough to combine the ingredients. Use the salsa straight away or pop in the fridge for half an hour until it becomes more solid. Spoon the mixture onto the avocado halves, sprinkle with the black beans and serve. Makes 4 portions.
Pin Stuffed Avocado with Salsa & Beans
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this Stuffed Avocado with Salsa & Beans to #CookBlogShare, guest hosted this week by Casa Costello.