These healthy, delicious Stuffed Peppers with Brown Rice and Chickpeas make a fantastic vegan main or side dish.
These colourful stuffed peppers with brown rice make a great main course or side dish. Thanks to the combination of fresh cilantro, ground coriander and cayenne pepper they are spicy and fragrant, and really bring to life timid chickpeas.
How to make the filling for this stuffed peppers recipe
The filling is super simple and easy to make and once your rice is cooked all you have to do is combine it with the other ingredients. I used crated raw carrot and zucchini as well as the cilantro to add moisture, flavour and veggie goodness to this vegan stuffed peppers recipe. Briefly fry the onion and garlic, pour into the rice and veggie mixture, add the seasoning and you are ready to stuff the peppers!
How long to bake stuffed peppers for
Baking time in this recipe is flexible and really depends on individual preference. I like my peppers quite soft so I can easily remove their skin. I tend to keep them in the oven for about 1 and 1/2 hours, but you can take them out sooner (anytime after 45 minutes).
You might also enjoy my non-vegetarian turkey and rice stuffed peppers.
Check out also this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals.
Stuffed Peppers with Brown Rice and Chickpeas
- 8-9 large peppers
- 1.5 cup presoaked and cooked chickpeas, or chickpeas from a can
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- 2 large handfuls fresh cilantro/coriander, finely chopped (about 30 g) plus more for garnish
- 1,5 tsp ground coriander
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot coarsely grated
- 1 medium zucchini coarsely grated
- 1 heaped teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2/3 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil for frying plus more for drizzling
- Whilst the rice is cooking (according to package instructions) heat up the oil in a small pan and add the onion and garlic. Lower the heat and fry for about 2 minutes stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the chickpeas, cilantro and ground coriander, the onion and garlic mixture, carrot, courgette, seasoning and rice (once cooked. Stir thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C / gas mark 4. Cut off the tops of peppers, remove the seeds and fill with the rice mixture. Put the tops back on, place the peppers in a baking dish and roast for 1 and 1/2 hours (or less according to preference). Serve with a drizzle with oil.
Pin Stuffed Peppers with Brown Rice and Chickpeas
KEEP IN TOUCH!