This simple, fragrant vegetarian stuffed tomatoes recipe with bulgur contains only a handful of ingredients and can be served as a main or side dish. Preparation takes minutes and most of the work is done in the oven. Perfect for everyday as well as for entertaining!
These vegetarian stuffed tomatoes are a fantastic way to include more vegetables in your diet creating a delicious and gorgeous dish everyone will love.
Tomatoes are in season and I thought I would celebrate it with something special! Rather than following my usual inclination to chop or puree the tomatoes this time I wanted something a little different, yet not too complicated. Still suitable for everyday healthy cooking.
How to hollow out tomatoes for vegetarian stuffed tomatoes recipe
This is quick and easy to do. Simply cut the top of each tomato and using a sharp knife cut all the way around the edges (see photo below). Then scoop out the middle and discard excess water. Once you’ve rehydrated your bulgur wheat (more on that below) and you’ve fried the onion and garlic, simply add the tomato pulp into the mixture and stuff your tomatoes.
Try to pick ripe, sweet tasting tomatoes, such as a beef tomato variety for example, that are similar in size.
How to prepare the bulgur wheat
I chose bulgur wheat for this easy stuffed tomatoes recipe for several reasons. It is tasty, nutritious and does not need to be cooked, which helps to keep preparation time to the minimum.
To rehydrate the bulgur cover it with boiling water (1 portion of bulgur to 2 portions of water), cover with a lid or plate and set aside for 12 minutes. Drain off any excess water and follow the instructions to make the stuffing mixture.
(Another super easy side dish using this ingredient is bulgur wheat with kale and shallots).
What other herbs can I use in baked stuffed tomatoes recipe
This recipe is super adaptable and you could use any herb you like. I chose tarragon for its lovely sweetish flavour with a hint of aniseed. It’s superb with fish dishes, as well as stews and veggie dishes. It’s delicious in this simple recipe, paired with tangy tomatoes and nutty bulgur wheat.
What to serve with vegetarian stuffed tomatoes
You can enjoy this easy stuffed tomatoes recipe as a side dish or light lunch. It’s also delicious served alongside chicken dishes, such as healthy, easy pulled chicken recipe or crispy baked chicken legs. If you make a large batch you can enjoy these stuffed tomatoes the next day, either hot or cold!
More stuffed vegetables recipes
You may also like this vegan stuffed eggplant with quinoa. Check out also these savoury and fruity stuffed zucchini boats with blackberries. Try also these easy cauliflower rice stuffed peppers with feta and stuffed peppers with brown rice and chickpeas.
You might also like this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals.
Vegetarian Stuffed Tomatoes with Bulgur Wheat
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1/4 cup bulgur wheat
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 50 g mature cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- Cover the bulgur wheat completely with boiling water (use 1 portion of bulgur to 2 portions of water) and leave, covered with lid or plate, to rehydrate for 12 minutes. Drain any excess water. Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6.
- Cut off the tops of each tomato and scoop out the pulp, removing excess juice and seeds. Chop up the pulp and set aside.
- In a large frying pan heat up the oil and fry the garlic and onions over a low heat for a couple of minutes stirring often. Add the wine and continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes. Add the pulp of the tomatoes, tarragon, season well, and cook for another 5 minutes over a high heat until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat, combine with the bulgur and cheese (reserving some to sprinkle on top) and stir well. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Spoon the mixture into the tomatoes and top with the remaining cheese. Transfer the tomatoes into an oven dish and bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
Pin Vegetarian Stuffed Tomatoes with Bulgur Wheat
Keep in touch
Recipe link parties
I am bringing this vegetarian stuffed tomatoes recipe to this month’s Simple and in Season.