This simple, vegan chickpea casserole with tomatoes & thai basil is a nutritious, Asian inspired dish. It is delicious served with rice or quinoa.
This chickpea casserole with tomatoes is an easy to make, nutritious dish which you can enjoy alongside rice, chicken or fish dishes.
How to make easy chickpea casserole
This vegan casserole is super quick and easy to make.
Start by frying the garlic, ginger and celery with the bay leaf in a little oil. Add the tomatoes, spices, seasoning and Thai basil, stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaves and puree the sauce.
Combine with the chickpeas, transfer the whole thing into a casserole dish and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes
You can make this vegan casserole as hot or mild as you like. I used half of a red chilli pepper (without the seeds), so my dish was quite mild. But you can add more heat by using the chilli seeds as well or even using a whole chilli if you like really spicy food!
Thai basil is a type of basil native to Southeast Asia, with a distinct subtly anise-like flavour and aroma. I bought it for the first time a few years ago, simply out of curiosity, not knowing what it tasted like. But since it was called ‘basil’ I had no doubt I’d like it.
When I opened the package and smelled anise I was a bit surprised, to say the least. I thought I was going to make an Italian dish but this herb smelled nothing like basil! (By the way, did you know that basil, popularised by Italian cuisine, is believed to be native to India?)!
The first few times I used Thai basil it didn’t blow me away in any of the dishes I tentatively added it to. They were mostly salads and some pasta dishes (I kept thinking Italian). So with this chickpea recipe I took a different approach and created an Asian inspired recipe, using ginger, garlic and coconut oil. As it turned out it was the perfect fit for my Thai basil!
More easy chickpea recipes
Check out also this collection of over 12 healthy vegetarian pasta meals.
Chickpea Casserole with Tomatoes & Thai Basil (Vegan)
- 2 x400g tins chickpeas drained
- 1 x400g tin tomatoes
- 1 large red onion finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- Small piece ginger approx. 1 tablespoon finely chopped
- 1/2 red chilli pepper with or without the seeds
- 1/2 celery stalk finely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons Thai basil approx. half of a small bunch, leaves only, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/3 teaspoon allspice powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- Sea salt to taste
- In a medium saucepan heat up the oil, add the bay leaves, garlic, ginger, chilli, onion and celery, stir and fry over a low/medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, tomato puree, sun-dried tomatoes, Thai basil, coriander and allspice powder, season to taste, stir, cover, bring to boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. You will need a medium size oven dish, about 6 cm deep.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, discard the bay leaves and puree the sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary. Pour the sauce into the oven dish, add the chickpeas, stir through and bake for 30 minutes.
Pin Chickpea Casserole with Tomatoes & Thai Basil
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing this healthy chickpea casserole with tomatoes to #CookBlogShare, which I happen to be hosting this week. If you’ve got a recipe why not bring it to the party too!