These low fat Easy Healthy Turkey Meatballs with Butternut Squash Spaghetti are a delicious, low carb dinner idea. Simple and full of colour, this dish comes together in 30 minutes!
These Turkey Meatballs with Butternut Squash Spaghetti is my latest dish using a spiralizer. This recipe consists of making squash noodles, meatballs as well as creamy simple sauce to pour over the whole thing but is still quite simple to put together. Plus you can double the meatball ingredients and make a big batch to enjoy later (with or without the butternut squash).
Easy turkey meatballs
These meatballs are incredibly easy to make. Just mash up the bread with a little milk, combine with the meat, add seasoning and form small meatballs. The reason I added a bit of soft bread sprinkled with milk to the meat was to make the meatballs spongy and soft. It’s a little trick I remember my mum using, although at the time I had no idea what it was meant to do.
I used a similar method in this Healthy Chicken Meatballs with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto as well as my healthy meatballs in mushroom sauce.
Simple white sauce
This recipe uses a simple white sauce with a few extra ingredients added to it, namely fenugreek and fromage frais. When you look for the fromage frais in the supermarket be careful not to grab the more calorific creme fraiche instead. (You can probably find both products in the same section of the supermarket). Fromage frais is quite lean (only 8% fat per 100ml product), doesn’t curdle so it’s ideal in sauces and has a pleasant tanginess to it. Which works great in this simple sauce.
Check out ALL my recipes where I’ve used this simple white sauce. You won’t believe how versatile it is!
If you’ve never used fenugreek but would like to give it a try my advice is to add a small amount first to see how you like it. Fenugreek is a very strong spice so it’s important not to add too much. Having said that, it’s really delicious and definitely worth trying. It’s often added to curries and curry powder mixes, but it’s also a great spice to use on its own. It has the most curious taste and aroma of nuts, maple syrup and celery, all in one! I really recommend it.
More healthy turkey meatballs recipes
- Turkey Meatballs with Roasted Pepper Sauce
- Turkey Meatballs with Red Rice
- Christmas Stuffing Balls
- Turkey Amaranth Meatball Bake with Cauliflower
Easy Healthy Turkey Meatballs with Butternut Squash Spaghetti
- 450 g turkey mince, approx. 7% fat
- 350-400 g butternut squash peeled, spiralized
- ½ medium white bread roll
- 1/4 teaspoon onion granules
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic granules
- 20 g butter
- 1 heaped tablespoon flour plus 2 level for coating the meatballs
- 200 ml semi-skimmed milk plus 2 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons fromage frais
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek powder
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- For serving: freshly chopped parsley and pomegranate seeds
- Start by making the meatballs. In a large bowl break up the bread roll into small pieces, sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of milk and mix together into a paste using the back of a large spoon. Add the meat, onion and garlic granules, season and stir thoroughly. Form small meatballs and coat in 2 tablespoons of the flour. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, in a saucepan melt the butter over a medium/low heat, add 1 heaped tablespoon of the flour and whisk until smooth. Add the milk, fromage frais and continue whisking until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat, add the mustard and fenugreek, season to taste and stir. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan heat up the oil and fry the meatballs over a medium heat for approx.6-7 minutes turning them often until lightly browned (do this in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan).
- While the meatballs are frying fill a medium pot with water (add hot water to speed things up), cover and bring to boil. Toss in the spiralized squash and cook for 2 minutes. Drain off the water and season to taste.
- You may have to reheat the sauce before serving (and add a bit more milk or water if it thickens). Serve with freshly chopped parsley and a handful of pomegranate seeds scattered over the top.
Pin Easy Healthy Turkey Meatballs with Butternut Squash Spaghetti
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am sharing these Easy Healthy Turkey Meatballs with Butternut Squash Spaghetti with Cook Once Eat Twice, and Recipe of the Week. Also sharing with #CookBlogShare – this week’s host is Jacqui@Recipes Made Easy. I am also bringing it to Fiesta Friday, which I am co-hosting with Sandhya @ Indfused.