These Turkey Meatballs in Tomato Sauce with Roasted Peppers are a delicious and easy to make dinner idea. Full of protein and fibre, this is a healthy meal the whole family will enjoy!
Most of us like meatballs. (I do). Adults and children alike. Not just because meatballs are delicious and make a great family meal. But also because you can make a big batch that will last for a few days. This is handy as most of us don’t have time to cook from scratch every day.
Well, with my turkey meatballs in tomato sauce you can!
And it really is so good to be able to enjoy food made from scratch every day, isn’t it? Especially if it’s healthy too. This recipe is!
Why is this turkey meatballs recipe super healthy?
Mainly because it’s very low in fat (I used lean turkey mince). It’s also full of veggie goodness – the sauce contains 3 red peppers! This recipe is brimming with protein and fibre!
In addition, the sauce is dairy free so there is no trace of either cream or butter. (Yet it has a lovely rich and creamy consistency).
Easy turkey meatballs recipe
These healthy turkey meatballs are also very quick and easy to make! You can make the meatballs as well as the sauce (most of it) while the peppers are roasting. Once the peppers are done all you need to do is add them to the sauce, puree, and pour over the meatballs.
The roasted red pepper tomato sauce takes less than 15 minutes to make. The sweet roasted peppers and tomatoes make a delicious pairing, so the sauce is simple, made with only a handful of ingredients.
How to make fluffy meatballs
I used a blender to quickly whizz up the meatball mixture. This is much easier and quicker to do than using a spoon to combine all the ingredients. Plus the meatballs will have a fluffier consistency.
Another reason why these turkey meatballs are light and fluffy is that I added torn up bun soaked in milk (use water if you prefer) into the mixture. Blitz this together along with the other ingredients. Adding breadcrumbs will not produce the same results.
How to serve these turkey meatballs
This recipe for turkey meatballs with sweet pepper sauce can be enjoyed with your favourite pasta. They would be great with quinoa as well. Or you could make a meatballs sub! This, according to my son is the absolute best way of serving these meatballs. Enjoy!
If you want to make a large batch simply double the ingredients. The proportions I used will feed a family of 4 hungry people.
More turkey meatball recipes
I’ve got a few other turkey meatballs recipes you might like. Check out these Asian inspired Turkey Meatballs with Red Rice. You might also enjoy this low carb Turkey Meatballs with Butternut Squash Spaghetti recipe. Try also this turkey Christmas Stuffing Balls recipe. Made using cranberries and chestnuts, they make a great festive season dish!
You may also enjoy these Healthy Chicken Meatballs with Sun Dried Tomato Pesto.
If you make this recipe don’t forget to let me know how it turned out! Your comments are important to me! Thanks!
Turkey Meatballs In Tomato Sauce with Roasted Peppers
- 500 g turkey mince
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1/2 roll/bun regular or gluten free
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
- 2 medium/large tomatoes chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 red bell peppers cut in half, seeds removed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 celery stick chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. Place the pepper halves on a baking tray and roast for about 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool a little and remove as much of the skin as possible. Chop the peppers roughly and set aside.
- While the peppers are roasting make the sauce. In a saucepan heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil, add the bay leaf, onion, half of the chopped garlic, celery, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add the wine, tomato and 2 tablespoons of the tomato puree, season to taste and cook for another 2 minutes. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf, add the peppers and puree.
- To make the meatballs, tear the bun roughly into small pieces, combine with the milk/water and stir. Combine this mixture with the turkey, basil, half of the chopped garlic and 1 tablespoon of the tomato puree. Season and whizz the mixture in a blender until it becomes sticky and all the ingredients have been mixed in well (this will take seconds).
- Form little balls, heat up 2-3 tablespoons of oil and fry the meatballs over a medium heat for about 6-7 minutes, or until cooked through, turning often.
Pin Turkey Meatballs in Tomato Sauce with Roasted Peppers!
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am bringing Turkey Meatballs in Tomato Sauce with Roasted Peppers recipe to Cook Once Eat Twice hosted by Searching for Spice. Also sharing with #SaucySaturdays hosted by La Petit Chef, Mid-Life Croissant, Take Two Tapas, and The Flavor Bender.