This delicious, moist low fat turkey meatloaf with fresh herbs is a simple, easy to make dinner idea the whole family will enjoy!
This low fat turkey meatloaf with a Mediterranean twist takes only 15 minutes to prepare! Most of the work is done in the oven so you can concentrate on making side dishes to serve along with the meatloaf.
When it comes to meat I often choose turkey as it’s lean, versatile and delicious. Despite the fact that turkey meat is low in fat this easy turkey meatloaf is moist and soft, not dry at all.
How to make moist meatloaf
Because fresh herbs are full of water they play an important role in helping to keep the meatloaf moist. The herbs are also the reason that this meatloaf shouldn’t be baked in a classic meatloaf tin. It would simply stew in the juices produced by the meat and herbs. As it is baked on a baking tray, the meatloaf has a nice thin crust on the outside while still being moist and tender on the inside.
I don’t recommend using dried instead of fresh herbs in this recipe. They would produce a tougher and dryer texture, not great in a meatloaf.
How to make low fat turkey meatloaf
Start by quickly frying the vegetables. Add the wine, cook for a few more minutes, then blitz the mixture along with the herbs. Add the rest of the ingredients, including the meat, and quickly blend until well combined and sticky. Form a loaf, then transfer it onto your baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprinkled with paprika. Roll the loaf with the paper until it’s completely covered with the paprika. Drizzle with oil and bake for 50-60 minutes.
Can I use different herbs
Yes, you can! I chose to use parsley and oregano in this easy meatloaf recipe but you can use your own herb combination. Sage and parsley or basil and parsley/oregano would work well too.
More family dinner turkey recipes
Low Fat Turkey Meatloaf with Fresh Herbs
- 500 g turkey mince
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano only the leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/2 celery stick finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons white wine
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for brushing the loaf
- 1.5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2/3 teaspoon each fine sea salt and white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper and sprinkle evenly with the paprika (you will roll the loaf in the paprika so make sure the tray is large enough). Set aside.
- Heat up the oil,add the onion, garlic and celery and fry over a medium/low heat for 4 minutes stirring often. Add the wine and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Add the herbs and blitz the entire mixture in a blender. Add the meat, breadcrumbs, tomato paste, seasoning and process for a few seconds until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed together and form a sticky loaf.
- Transfer the mixture onto a large plate and form a log, approximately 20 cm long. Place on one end of the baking tray and roll gently with the paper until the loaf is thoroughly coated in the paprika. Unwrap and place in the middle of the tray (using the same paper). Brush the loaf with a little oil (use a cooking brush). Bake for 50 minutes - 1 hour.
- Remove from the even and serve.
Pin Low Fat Turkey Meatloaf with Fresh Herbs!