This simple one pot Curried Quinoa Vegetable Casserole with Paneer can be enjoyed as a healthy satisfying side dish or a quick and easy vegetarian weeknight dinner.
I am always looking for new and exciting ways to enjoy quinoa and have recently come up with this Curried Quinoa Vegetable Casserole with Paneer recipe. Apart from being new it’s also pretty exciting! and there are good reasons for it!
If you find quinoa quite boring and bland and struggle to make it part of your everyday diet (and enjoy it!) this dish might turn things around for you. The quinoa is infused with a mixture of spice and vegetable flavour that’s rich while keeping the calories down. No more boring quinoa that everyone raves about only you never understood what the hype was about!
Another good thing about this casserole is that it’s gluten free so more people can enjoy it!
Here is another gluten free easy curried quinoa recipe you might enjoy: Grilled Pineapple Pepper Curried Quinoa.
How to make easy curried quinoa vegetable casserole
I use quinoa in my recipes quite a lot but I usually cook it separately first. In this vegetarian casserole recipe I cooked the quinoa together with the vegetables and spices, which produced fantastic results. The quinoa is infused with flavour, fluffy and really delicious.
To make this easy quinoa casserole start by frying the garlic, ginger, onion and celery for a couple of minutes. Add the spices, quinoa and continue cooking, stirring often. Add the rest of the ingredients (not the paneer) and pour the mixture into your casserole dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
Then simply fry the paneer until crispy and lightly browned and serve with your casserole!
This easy quinoa bake can be enjoyed as a side or main dish (you can even make it vegan by omitting the paneer). If you don’t need it to be vegetarian it is also delicious with grilled chicken. It tastes great the next day too though you might have to add a drop of water as it will thicken.
I used coconut oil in this recipe as it’s sweet and helps to offset the sourness of the tomatoes. My other ‘sweet’ ingredients are red onion, carrot and red pepper, which always work well in tomato based dishes.
Quinoa with paneer
I thought the paneer cheese would be an interesting addition to this simple vegetarian curry. It has a soft texture (which, by the way, doesn’t disappear when you crisp it up) and a pleasant sweet flavour. What sets paneer apart from all other types of cheese is the fact that it keeps its shape in cooking. It won’t melt, crumble or disintegrate in any other way. Plus it looks so pretty against the red colour! Both quinoa as well as paneer are good sources of protein, so this vegetarian dish won’t leave you hungry!
The combination of the vegetables, quinoa and the cheese makes this curry quinoa casserole a delicious and healthy weeknight dinner idea. All in one satisfying easy dish. Enjoy!
You might also like my quick vegetarian curry with chickpeas and paneer.
Curried Quinoa Vegetable Casserole with Paneer
- 225 g fresh paneer cheese cubed (patted dry with paper towel)
- 1/2 cup quinoa raw, rinsed
- 1 large or 2 small red bell peppers roughly chopped
- 1 large red onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled, diced
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- Small piece of ginger peeled, finely chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 1 heaped teaspoon each cumin coriander seeds powder and coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper moderately spicy
- 5 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. You will need a medium size oven dish, about 6 cm deep.
- In a large pot heat up 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, add the bay leaf, garlic, ginger, onion and celery, stir and fry for a couple of minutes stirring often.
- Add the spices and quinoa, stir and continue frying over a medium heat for another minute.
- Add the carrot, red pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, water and stir thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish, cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, fold in the fresh cilantro and set aside.
- In a medium frying pan heat up 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and fry the paneer pieces briefly turning often until they brown a little. Scatter a desired amount over a portion of the vegetable quinoa and serve (the quinoa will thicken as it stands).
Pin Curried Quinoa Vegetable Casserole with Paneer
KEEP IN TOUCH!
RECIPE LINK PARTIES
I am sharing this Curried Quinoa Vegetable Casserole with Paneer recipe with Meat Free Mondays, What’s Cookin’ Wednesday. Also sharing with Fiesta Friday (this week’s co-hosts are Petra at Food Eat Love and Ai at Ai Made It For You) and Saucy Saturdays.