Quinoa Chocolate Porridge with Banana
This naturally gluten free quinoa porridge is a delicious alternative to traditional oatmeal. It is satisfying yet light, full of goodness and low in sugar.
Prep Time 3 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 18 minutes
Servings 2 people
- 80 g quinoa raw, rinsed
- 240 ml milk, any adjust the amount to suit your preference
- 1 tbsp cocoa/cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup optional, see Notes below
- 1 large or 2 small bananas mashed
- pinch of salt
In a saucepan combine the quinoa with the milk and a pinch of salt, cover and bring to the boil. Milk rises as it heats up so make sure it doesn’t spill out of the pot. Lower the heat and simmer gently, covered for 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the cocoa and maple syrup (if using), stir thoroughly, cover and continue cooking gently for 3 more minutes stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat, stir in the mashed banana and serve. Add a splash of milk if the porridge is too thick.
- Cooking the quinoa: When cooking the quinoa with milk try not to let it boil too rapidly as the milk will rise to the top and might spill out of the pot. As soon as it starts bubbling up and rising turn the heat right down to a simmer.
- Make it vegan: Use a non-dairy milk alternative such as almond or hazelnut milk.
- How much sugar: If you prefer not to use any maple syrup add a little more mashed banana (the more ripe the banana the sweeter it is).
- Storing and reheating: Refrigerate, covered, for up to 3 days. The porridge will thicken as it stands so add a splash of milk before reheating it, whether in the microwave or on top of the stove.
- Serving suggestions: Add fruit, such as berries, cherries or slices of banana (in addition to the mashed banana inside the porridge). You could also scatter toasted seeds and/or nuts over the top. Drizzle with more maple syrup if you like. A dollop of yogurt or Skyr will add a bit of tangy flavour and create a creamier consistency.
- Not suitable for freezing.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 56mg | Potassium: 655mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 232IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 165mg | Iron: 2mg