Lentil Kale Lasagne Recipe
This nutritious, creamy vegetarian lentil lasagne contains 2 types of lentils as well as a bit of kale. It is super easy to make, hearty and filling and above all - delicious!
Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 1 hour
Servings 6 people
For the lasagna filling
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 1/2 cup green puy lentils or ordinary green lentils
- 100 g kale finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1x400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 500 g tomato passata
- 60 g each: coarsely grated parmesan and mature cheddar cheese ensure the parmesan is vegetarian
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp each: dried oregano and paprika
- 2/3 tbsp coarse sea salt plus plenty of pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil plus 1 tbsp for greasing the lasagna dish
- 1.5 cup water
For the white sauce
- 1.5 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1/2 cup semi-skimmed milk/low fat
In a large pan heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, garlic and onion and fry for 3-4 minutes until softened. Add the lentils, kale, tomatoes and passata, seasoning and spices, as well as 2/3 of the water, stir and cover. Simmer for about 40 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and the red lentils are fully cooked, stirring often. Remove from the heat, stir in the parmesan, add the rest of the water and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375 F/ 190 C/ gas mark 5. Grease the bottom of a rectangular lasagne dish (approx. 20 cm x 30 cm) with 1 tablespoon of oil. Set aside.
To make the white sauce in a saucepan melt the butter over a medium heat, add the corn flour and whisk quickly until smooth. Pour in the milk, increase the heat and whisk until the sauce thickens and starts bubbling up. Remove from the heat, season lightly and set
Assemble the lasagne. Cover the bottom of the lasagne dish with 3 lasagne sheets. Pour in half of the lentil sauce and smooth out. Place 3 more lasagne sheets over the top pressing in gently and cover with the rest of the sauce. Cover with the 3 remaining sheets, press gently, sprinkle the cheddar cheese and pour over the white sauce.
Bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour. Half way through cover the lasagne loosely with paper to prevent it browning too much.
Remove from the oven, set aside for 5 minutes and serve.