Spiced Cauliflower Apple Soup with Cheese
This simple, warming spiced roasted cauliflower apple soup is wholesome, tasty and nutritious, perfect as a starter or light lunch idea.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 28 minutes
Total Time 38 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 1 small cauliflower about 600g
- 1 bramley apple or another sour variety
- 1/2 celery stalk finely chopped
- 4 shallots finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- Spice mix: 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon nutmeg, allspice, 1/3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus more for seasoning the cauliflower and plenty of pepper
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Fresh parsley and toasted pine nuts for serving
- Cheese for crumbling on top sweet and nutty or strong and tangy
- 650 ml hot water or a bit less if you like your soup very thick
Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Chop the cauliflower into small pieces (halve the large florets), place on top of a baking tray, sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, season, drizzle with a little oil (2 tbsp) and bake for 20 minutes.
In a large pot heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add the bay leaf, shallots, garlic and celery, and saute for a few minutes. Peel the apple, remove the core and chop roughly. Add the apple, cauliflower pieces, water, sugar, turmeric, 1 teaspoon of salt and plenty of pepper to the soup mixture, stir, cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
Mash the soup a little with a potato masher, adjust seasoning if necessary and ladle into ramekins. Top with cheese and bake for 10 minutes at 425 F/ 220 C/ gas mark 7.
Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, freshly chopped parsley and lightly toasted pine nuts.
Serving: 0g | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg