Gluten Free Cinnamon Apple Muffins with Almonds
These quick and easy gluten free apple muffins with almonds make a delicious breakfast, healthy lunchbox idea or snack.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 23 minutes
Total Time 33 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- 250 g sweet apple peeled, coarsely grated, approx. 3 medium apples
- 128 g buckwheat flour (4.52 oz)
- 120 g ground almonds/almond flour (4.23 oz)
- 2.5 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/5 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 240 ml semi-skimmed milk/low fat
- 70 g light brown sugar (2.47 oz)
- 90 ml vegetable oil
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 40 g almond flakes
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Lightly grease or line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper muffin cases and set aside.
Combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon and salt and stir using a whisk.
In another bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, milk and almond extract until smooth. Peel and coarsely grate the apples. Add into the egg mixture and stir.
Pour in the flour mixture and stir just to combine. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan. In a small bowl combine the almond flakes with the maple syrup and place a small amount on top of each muffin. Bake in the centre of the oven for 23 minutes.
Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes then transfer onto a cooling rack.
- Peel and grate the apples just before adding into the batter as peeled apples are prone to discoloration.
- Spices: I only used cinnamon but you can add a bit of nutmeg (1/2 tsp) and ginger (1 tsp) into the mixture or swap these for pumpkin spice.
- Batter: Do not overmix the batter. Stir just to combine.
- Serving: Most muffins are best served warm and these almond apple muffins are no exception. If possible, pop them in the microwave for 8 seconds. You can enjoy them as they are or with a little butter or cream cheese.
- Storing: Keep covered for up to 3 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 63mg | Potassium: 217mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 66IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 102mg | Iron: 1mg