My Mum’s Polish Potato Salad (Jarzynowa)
My Mum's Polish Potato Salad (Jarzynowa) is a traditional Polish recipe, a firm family favourite, popular all year round, great as an everyday recipe as well as special occasion dish to enjoy with family and friends.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 -8 portions
- 4 medium salad potatoes unpeeled
- 2 medium carrots unpeeled
- 4 eggs hard boiled
- 6 small pickled gherkins finely chopped
- 2 apples
- 5 tbsp thick yogurt
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp mustard
- Fine sea salt and pepper to taste
Place the potatoes and carrots in a pot, add water and bring to the boil. Then simmer until tender (don't overcook them!). You can boil the eggs in the same pot and remove them after 6-8 minutes (or boil them separately). Drain and set aside to cool, then peel and chop the ingredients into small cubes and place in a large bowl. Finely chop the gherkins and add into the bowl.
Peel and core the apples, cut into quarters and finely chop. Combine with the salad.
Add the yogurt, mayonnaise, mustard and seasoning to the mixture and stir carefully but thoroughly. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 2 days. If possible chill for 1 hour before serving.
- Other popular ingredients of Polish potato salad include canned peas and dill, which you can also use in this recipe.
- You can give this vegetable salad a more sophisticated look by chopping the vegetables into smaller pieces than I have done. I get impatient and go for a more rustic look:)
- Apples are prone to discoloration so I recommend peeling and chopping them when you are ready to put the salad together.
- You can make this jarzynowa salad ahead. It will taste better, in fact, once you've allowed it to chill for a few hours. And you can refrigerate it, covered, for a couple of days. So even if you make a big batch it will never go to waste.
- I do not recommend freezing potato salad.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 115mg | Sodium: 197mg | Potassium: 796mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3597IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 100mg | Iron: 5mg