Dried Cranberry Muffins with Pecans
These dried cranberry muffins with pecans make a perfect festive season breakfast or snack. Lightly spiced and with a hint of orange they are easy to make and super delicious!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 23 minutes
Total Time 33 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- 140 g dried sweetened cranberries (1.16 cups)
- 260 g flour (2.08 cups)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp each: cinnamon and ginger
- 2 medium eggs room temperature
- 220 ml semi-skimmed/low fat milk (0.93 cups)
- 80 ml vegetable oil (0.34 cups)
- 80 g sugar (0.4 cups)
- 1 orange, zest only
- 70 g pecans (0.71 cups) roughly chopped
For the orange icing
- 4 tbsp icing/powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp orange juice plus more orange zest for decorating (optional)
Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Line a muffin pan with 12 paper muffin cases (or lightly grease if using a non-stick pan).
Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger and stir using a whisk.
Whisk together the eggs, oil and sugar. Whisk in the milk and orange zest. Add the cranberries and pecans into the flour mixture and stir well to combine. Combine both dry and wet mixtures and stir only until the dry ingredients are no longer visible.
Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 23 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave in the pan for 10 minutes then place on a cooling rack.
To make the orange icing combine the icing sugar with the orange juice and stir until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the muffins, sprinkle more orange zest if you like and enjoy!
- Substitutions: Use any nuts you like, not necessarily pecans. You could also use lemon zest instead of orange zest if you prefer.
- Spices: I used a combination of cinnamon and ginger but you could use either one or the other or use mixed spice/pumpkin spice instead. You could also omit these spices altogether and just add a teaspoon of vanilla bean paste (or extract) into the muffin batter.
- Batter: The batter should be lumpy. Stop stirring as soon as the dry ingredients have been incorporated.
- Best served a little warm. Pop in the microwave for a few seconds before serving. Keep in a plastic container for up to 3 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 270kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 21mg | Potassium: 155mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 58IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 63mg | Iron: 1mg