Vegan Tofu Curry with Peas
This delicious vegan tofu curry with peas is a nutritious weeknight dinner idea - it's low fat and super easy to make.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 300 g tofu
- 1 cup frozen petits pois or garden peas
- 400 g can tomatoes, small can
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 5 cm piece ginger peeled, finely chopped (you should have 2-3 tablespoons of it)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt plus plenty of pepper
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon each cumin powder and turmeric
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, coriander, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
Start by preparing the tofu. Drain it well, wrap in paper towel and squeeze gently to remove any excess water (you may have to use several paper towel sheets). Cube the tofu and season to taste. Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil and fry the tofu for a couple of minutes over a medium heat, carefully turning with a spatula, until it's lightly browned. Set aside.
Heat up 3 tablespoons of oil, add the bay leaf, garlic, ginger and onion and fry on a medium heat for a minute stirring often. Add the garam masala, cumin and turmeric and continue frying for another minute or so stirring often.
Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf and puree the sauce. Add the coconut milk (reheat the sauce if you have to at this point then take off the heat), cilantro, tofu and petits pois. Adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve!
Serving: 0g | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg