Vegan Tofu Curry with Peas
This delicious vegan tofu curry with peas is a nutritious weeknight dinner idea - it's low fat and super easy to make.
Prep Time 8 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 23 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 300 g tofu
- 130 g petits pois or garden peas frozen, approx. 1 cup
- 400 g canned tomatoes
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 5 cm piece ginger peeled, finely chopped (you should have 2-3 tablespoons of it)
- 1 bay leaf
- 120 ml coconut milk regular or reduced fat
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt plus plenty of pepper
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp each cumin powder and turmeric
- 4 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 5 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
Start by preparing the tofu. Drain it well, wrap in paper towel and squeeze gently to remove any excess water. Cube the tofu, season to taste and set aside.
In a pot heat up 3 tablespoons of oil, add the bay leaf, garlic, ginger and onion and fry on a medium heat for a minute stirring often. Add the garam masala, cumin and turmeric and continue frying for another minute or so stirring often.
Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the meantime heat up 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan and fry the tofu over a medium heat until golden brown (about 2 minutes on each side).
Remove the sauce from the heat, discard the bay leaf and puree the sauce. Add the coconut milk, cilantro, tofu and frozen peas. Reheat the dish and adjust the seasoning if needed and serve!
- Tofu: Gently squeeze to remove excess water and pat dry using paper towel. Then cube and fry as per instructions.
- Peas: Use frozen petits pois or garden peas.
- Curry sauce: Puree the sauce to a desired consistency (it can still be a little lumpy).
- Coconut milk: Use full fat or reduced fat milk.
- Storing: Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Sodium: 769mg | Potassium: 405mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3329IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 147mg | Iron: 3mg