Fluffy Cornmeal Muffins with Sweet Corn
These savoury cornmeal muffins contain sweet corn kernels for extra flavour and texture. Light and fluffy they make a delicious accompaniment to soups and stews.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 24 minutes
Total Time 34 minutes
Servings 6 muffins
- 80 g sweetcorn from a can
- 40 g mature cheddar coarsely grated
- 60 g coarse cornmeal
- 65 g flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp onion granules
- 1/5 tsp fine sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium egg
- 135 ml semi-skimmed/ low fat milk
- 35 ml vegetable oil plus a little more for greasing the pan
Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Lightly grease a 6-hole muffin pan.
In a bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper and onion granules. Stir well using a whisk and set aside.
Whisk together the egg, oil and milk until smooth. Add the cheese and sweetcorn and stir. Add the dry mixture and stir just to combine (do not overmix).
Spoon the batter into the muffin pan and bake for 24 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside for 15 minutes then transfer the muffins onto a rack. Best served warm.
- Cheese: I used mature cheddar but you can swap it for mild cheddar or another semi-soft cheese.
- Batter: Do not overmix the batter. Stop stirring once all the ingredients have been incorporated. The batter will be lumpy.
- Serving suggestions: these corn muffins can be enjoyed on their own, with a knob of butter or slice of ham (if you don't need them to be vegetarian). Try them with morning eggs, fried beans, Mediterranean vegetable stew or vegan butternut squash casserole. They taste great with a bowl of soup too. Best served warm.
- Storing: Once completely cooled place them in a plastic container for up to 3 days. Heat up in the microwave before serving.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 192kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 142mg | Potassium: 222mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 164IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 122mg | Iron: 1mg