Simple Whole Wheat Chia Pancakes
These simple, delicious chia pancakes are made using whole wheat flour and a little yogurt for added protein and fluffy texture. Easy to make, nutritious and perfect for breakfast/brunch or as a snack.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 7 large pancakes
- 128 g whole wheat flour (4.52 oz)
- 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
- 1.3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 220 ml milk
- 4 tbsp Skyr/Greek yogurt/quark
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil plus more for frying (1 tbsp per batch)
In a bowl combine the flour, chia seeds, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and pinch of salt. Stir thoroughly using a whisk and set aside.
In another bowl whisk together the egg, milk, yogurt and oil. Combine both mixtures and stir using a whisk only until the dry ingredients are no longer visible. The batter will be a little lumpy.
Heat up a little oil (1 tablespoon per batch), then lower the heat and ladle the batter onto the pan spreading a little to form good size pancakes. Fry the pancakes over a low heat for 3-4 minutes until bubbles appear on top. Turn them over and fry for 2 more minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.
- Batter: Do not overstir the batter. Stop stirring once all the ingredients have been incorporated. The batter will be lumpy.
- Flour: I used whole wheat flour but you could use a combination of whole wheat and white (or buckwheat) or just white flour if you prefer.
- Yogurt: I used naturally low in fat Skyr but Greek yogurt or quark are also good options.
- Frying: Heat up the pan with a little oil, then lower the heat and cook the pancakes slowly for 3-4 minutes until bubbles appear on top before turning over and cooking for 2 more minutes. Do not overcrowd the pan.
- Best served immediately. Refrigerate leftover pancakes in a plastic container and reheat in the microwave. Serve with a knob of butter, drizzle of maple syrup and/or fruit.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 130kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 71mg | Potassium: 229mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 85IU | Calcium: 115mg | Iron: 1mg