Blood Orange Muffins
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 26 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- 300 g blood oranges peeled, chopped into small pieces (see Instructions)
- zest of 2 blood oranges
- 160 g flour (1.28 cups)
- 120 g ground almonds/almond flour (1 cup)
- 2.3 tsp baking powder
- 100 g light brown sugar (0.45 cup)
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of fine sea salt
- 2 medium eggs
- 70 ml vegetable oil
- 240 ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper muffin cases.
In a bowl combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, ginger and a pinch of salt. Stir thoroughly using a whisk and set aside.
In another bowl whisk together the egg, milk, oil, orange zest and vanilla extract.
To peel the oranges cut both ends and place the orange on one end on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife shave the peel off downwards all the way around, making sure to also remove the thin white skin around the orange. Chop the orange into small pieces. Weigh the chopped orange.
Add the chopped blood orange into the wet mixture and stir. Add the flour mixture and stir just to combine. Do not overmix.
Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 26 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes then transfer the muffins onto a cooling rack.
- Blood oranges: Weigh the blood oranges after you've peeled and chopped them. Remember to zest the oranges before peeling them.
- Stir both the dry as well as wet ingredients using a whisk.
- The batter: Do not overstir the batter. Stop stirring once the dry ingredients are no longer visible.
- Storing: Once completely cooled the muffins can be stored in a container for up to 2 days. If possible pop in the microwave for a few seconds before serving.
- Freezing: Freeze in a plastic container/freezer bag for up to 3 months. Defrost in the microwave.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 224kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 29mg | Sodium: 22mg | Potassium: 187mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 127IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 101mg | Iron: 1mg