Curried Quinoa Recipe with Grilled Pineapple & Pepper
This vegan Curried Quinoa Recipe with Grilled Pineapple & Pepper makes a delicious easy meal that comes together in just over 30 minutes.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 people
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoon each: turmeric and cumin powders
- 2/3 teaspoon each: garam masala and coriander powders
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 red pepper bell or sweet pointed, chopped
- 1/2 pineapple peeled, sliced (you should have 3 thick slices)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 red chili finely chopped (seeds removed)
- 1 and 1/3 teaspoon onion seeds
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 100 ml coconut milk
- Sea salt to taste
- 1.5 cup water
- Cilantro/coriander for garnish finely chopped
Rinse the quinoa, place in a medium pot, add 1.5 cup water with 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric and the bay leaf and stir thoroughly. Cover, bring to boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for approx. 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed (give it a stir half way through). Set aside. Keep the lid on so it stays hot.
In a small frying pan heat up the coconut oil, add the garlic, ginger, chilli and onion seeds and fry over a medium heat for about 3 minutes stirring all the time. Pour the mixture into the quinoa and stir thoroughly.
Fry the pineapple in a griddle pan for 2 minutes on both sides, then chop into small chunks (remove the core) and add to the quinoa.
Fry the red sweet peppers in the griddle pan for 4-5 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add to the quinoa mixture.
Add the coconut milk, cilantro, adjust the seasoning if necessary, stir thoroughly and serve.