Fish Pie with Avocado
This aromatic fish pie with avocado and tarragon is a simple, healthy and delicious dinner idea the whole family will love.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 5 medium potatoes approx. 750g
- 500 g skinless boneless fresh cod or haddock, chopped into large chunks
- 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves only, finely chopped, or use 2/3 tbsp dried tarragon
- 2 medium avocados firm and not quite ripe, peeled, deseeded, cubed
- 50 g cheddar cheese grated
- 30 g butter
- 20 g flour
- 250 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1/3 teaspoon onion granules
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt and plenty of white pepper
- A good squeeze of lemon juice
Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters. Boil in salted water with the bay leaf. Drain well, add a splash of milk and mash until nice and smooth. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6. Place the fish pieces in a medium oven dish, season with salt and white pepper and scatter the avocado cubes on top.
While the potatoes are cooking prepare the SAUCE. In a medium saucepan melt the butter over a low heat, add the flour and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the milk, cream cheese, mustard, increase the heat and whisk until the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat, season to taste, add the onion granules, tarragon, a good squeeze of the lemon juice, half the cheese and stir well to combine.
Pour the sauce over the fish and avocado (reserving about 3 tablespoons). Cover with a layer of mashed potatoes, drizzle with the remaining sauce, sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and bake for 40 minutes. Serve immediately.