Simple Chickpea Casserole (Vegan)
This simple, vegan chickpea casserole with rich tomato sauce comes together in just a few easy steps.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 800 g canned chickpeas drained, reserve some of the water
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger peeled, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 400 g canned tomatoes
- 3 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes in oil, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Thai basil finely chopped (see Notes below for alternatives)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
In a saucepan heat up the oil, add the chilli flakes and garam masala and stir then add the onion, garlic, ginger and a little seasoning, stir and cook gently for 3 minutes.
Add the canned tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes and herbs, cover and bring the sauce to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. In the meantime preheat the oven to 400 F/ 200 C/ gas mark 6.
Remove from the heat and puree the sauce. Add the chickpeas, stir to combine and adjust the seasoning as needed.
Place the mixture in a medium casserole dish (approx. 6 cm deep) and bake for 25-30 minutes until the sauce caramelises around the edges. Remove from the oven and serve.
- The tomato sauce is rich and quite thick but you can loosen it by adding a drop of chickpea water (save some after draining the chickpeas).
- Serving suggestions: Serve alongside rice, quinoa or couscous or as a snack on toast.
- What herbs to use: Thai basil, cilantro, tarragon, parsley.
- Refrigerate, covered, for up to 3 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 27g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 469mg | Potassium: 500mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 305IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 3mg