Chocolate French Toast Skillet with Raspberries and Pecans
This fluffy, delicious chocolate french toast skillet contains healthy cacao, a moderate amount of sugar, raspberries and is topped with pecans for a crunchy finish. Great for everyday or special occasion breakfast/brunch.
Prep Time 8 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 23 minutes
Servings 4 portions
- 3 large buns brioche, white or whole wheat buns, torn into chunks
- 5 large eggs
- 140 ml semi-skimmed milk/low fat
- 2 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp dark brown or dark muscovado sugar
- 90 g raspberries frozen or fresh
- 40 g pecans
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup plus more for serving
In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, cocoa and sugar until smooth. Tear the bread into chunks, add to the egg mixture and stir through. Set aside for 3 minutes then give another stir and wait 2 more minutes until the egg mixture has been absorbed.
Add the raspberries and stir carefully. In a medium skillet (25 cm in diameter) heat up the butter (be careful not to burn it), add the French toast mixture, cover and cook slowly over a low heat for approximately 12 minutes.
Remove from the heat, scatter the pecans over the top, drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of maple syrup and place under the grill for a few minutes until the pecans have browned a little. Alternatively give it a 5-minute blast in a very hot oven (or even use a blow torch to crisp up the top). Drizzle with more maple syrup, add more raspberries if you wish and serve immediately.
- French toast bread: I recommend using soft bread such as brioche, plain white or whole wheat buns (they will absorb the egg mixture quickly).
- Cacao: Use either cacao or cocoa powder. I tend to use cacao as it's a little healthier (you might also like this collection of 27 everyday healthy cacao recipes).
- Raspberries: Use either fresh or frozen. (I used frozen)
- Best served immediately.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 385kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 215mg | Sodium: 343mg | Potassium: 261mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 420IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 10mg