Polish Sauerkraut Salad Recipe with Carrot & Apple
This Polish sauerkraut salad recipe with carrot and apple is a sugar free version of traditional sauerkraut salad. With a twist! Enjoy as a side dish or on its own.
Prep Time 12 minutes
Total Time 12 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 100 g sauerkraut, chopped after excess juice has been squeezed out
- 1 large sweet apple unpeeled, cored
- 1 large carrot peeled
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 orange juice only
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4-5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp caraway seeds toasted, lightly crushed
- Sea salt and pepper to taste *see Notes
Spiralize (or coarsely grate) the carrot and place in a large salad bowl. Add the onion and sauerkraut.
Dry toast the caraway seeds in a small pan. Lightly crush and add into the salad.
Spiralize (or coarsely grate) the apple and add into the salad. Pour in the orange juice, lemon juice, oil, add the lemon zest and mix together using 2 forks/large spoons. Taste to check if any seasoning is required. Serve immediately.
- Sauerkraut: When you shop for sauerkraut look for organic, preservative free sauerkraut, if possible, (these are usually sold in Polish delicatessens), with a light yellow tint (not grey).
- Preparation: You can either coarsely grate or spiralize the carrot and apple.
- Apple: You can use unpeeled apple in this salad. Ensure it's sweet, not tart.
- Seasoning: One thing to remember is that sauerkraut is quite salty so taste the salad before seasoning it. (It may only need some pepper).
- Serving: Best served immediately.
- Not suitable for freezing.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 117.69kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.21g | Protein: 0.7g | Fat: 9.52g | Saturated Fat: 7.64g | Sodium: 118.3mg | Potassium: 139.85mg | Fiber: 2.2g | Sugar: 5.79g | Vitamin A: 1739.39IU | Vitamin C: 12.58mg | Calcium: 21.05mg | Iron: 0.4mg