Roasted Pumpkin Pasta with Arugula and Garlic
This vegan roasted pumpkin pasta with arugula and garlic is a simple seasonal recipe that's easy to prepare, light, healthy and ready in about 20 minutes!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 portions
- 300 g uncooked fusilli pasta (10.58 oz) penne or farfalle will be fine too
- 650 g pumpkin (22.93 oz) peeled, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 100 g arugula (3.53 oz)
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp onion granules optional
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup water from cooking the pasta 6-8 tablespoons or more
- Lightly toasted pine nuts and grated parmesan for serving, optional
Preheat the oven to 425 F/ 220 C/ gas mark 7. Cut the pumpkin into thick wedges, place each on its side on a cutting board and slice the peel off downwards. Chop the pumpkin into similar size pieces and place in a large bowl. Season and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of oil, then spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer. Roast on the upper oven shelf for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and tender. Turn twice.
10 minutes before your pumpkin is ready boil the pasta al dente with the bay leaf in salted water. Strain, reserving approximately 1/3 cup of the water from cooking. Set aside.
When both the pumpkin and pasta are ready in a frying pan heat up the remaining oil, add the garlic and fry over a medium heat for a few seconds until golden (don't let it brown too much as it will be bitter), stirring all the time. Lift the garlic out of the pan with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl. Set aside.
Add about 2 spoonfuls of the pumpkin into the pan. Mash with a fork, add some of the water from cooking the pasta, onion granules and stir. Add the pasta and roasted pumpkin, stir and adjust seasoning if needed, scatter over the garlic, pine nuts and parmesan (if using) and serve.
- Use sugar/culinary pumpkin, NOT carving pumpkin.
- You can peel and chop the pumpkin in advance and refrigerate in a plastic bag overnight.
- Roast the pumpkin on the upper oven shelf but take care not to let it burn - turn over twice. Do NOT overcrowd the baking sheet.
- Unused fresh pumpkin can be refrigerated in a plastic bag for up to 4 days.
- Use pasta of your choice.
- Start boiling the pasta 10 minutes before your pumpkin comes out of the oven.
- Prepare the garlic and arugula (this takes seconds) once both the pasta and pumpkin are ready to serve.
- Take care not to brown the garlic too much - fry for a few seconds only stirring all the time.
- Best served immediately.
- Not suitable for freezing.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 487kcal | Carbohydrates: 69g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 14mg | Potassium: 824mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 14427IU | Vitamin C: 19mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 3mg