Creamy Spiced Pumpkin Carrot Soup
This nourishing, spiced pumpkin carrot soup is a warming and delicious autumn recipe.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 8 portions
- 500 g pumpkin peeled, roughly chopped
- 500 g carrots peeled, roughly chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 celery stalk finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 750 ml hot vegetable stock (from a cube)
- 1 tsp each: paprika and ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp each: nutmeg and cumin
- 1/3 tsp ground allspice
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
To prepare the pumpkin cut it into thick wedges, place each on its side and cut the skin off slicing downwards. Chop into similar size pieces.
In a large pot heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, garlic, ginger, onion and celery and fry gently for 3 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the spices, stir and fry for another minute, then add the carrots, pumpkin and stock. Stir, cover and bring to the boil then simmer for about 25 minutes.
Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaf and add the chopped cilantro. Puree until smooth. Add a splash of water if needed, season to taste and serve!
- Pumpkin: Use sugar/culinary pumpkin, not carving pumpkin. I do not recommend using ready-to-eat pumpkin puree in this recipe.
- Spices: You can use a touch of your favourite curry powder and omit the cumin and coriander. Add a chilli pepper for a bit of bite if you like.
- Serving: Serve on its own, with a splash of coconut milk or dollop of yogurt/sour cream.
- Freezing: freeze individual portions for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 85.12kcal | Carbohydrates: 13.01g | Protein: 1.43g | Fat: 3.75g | Saturated Fat: 0.55g | Sodium: 419.88mg | Potassium: 432.57mg | Fiber: 2.3g | Sugar: 6.09g | Vitamin A: 15961.56IU | Vitamin C: 10.56mg | Calcium: 38.27mg | Iron: 0.72mg