Fish Casserole with Vegetables (Polish Ryba po Grecku)
This healthy, low fat, Polish inspired easy fish casserole with vegetables (ryba po grecku) makes a delicious gluten free, dairy free weeknight dinner idea.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 6 portions
- 500 g cod or haddock, cut into large pieces
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 small leek finely chopped
- 1 small celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1-2 carrots approx. 250g, coarsely grated
- 5 tablespoons fresh parsley finely chopped
- 2/3 x 400 g tin tomatoes a little less than 1 tin
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/3 teaspoon allspice powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Pinch of cinnamon
- ½ red chilli without the seeds, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for drizzling
- 5 tablespoons white wine
- ½ cup frozen petits pois or garden peas
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
To prepare the sauce, heat up the oil, add the bay leaf, onion, chilli, leek and celery and fry over a medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the wine and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add the carrot, red pepper, parsley, tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, spices (allspice, paprika, cinnamon), season to taste, stir, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, take out the bay leaf and puree the sauce partially so that it's thick but still chunky (or puree until completely smooth if you prefer). Taste to check if seasoning needs adjusting.
Preheat the oven to 400 F/200 C/ gas mark 6. Place the fish pieces in a medium oven dish, pour the sauce over the fish, sprinkle with the lemon zest, drizzle with a little oil and bake for 15 minutes. Defrost and heat up the petits pois (either in the microwave or by placing in boiling water for a few minutes, but do not boil them) scatter over the dish and enjoy! Serve with potatoes, rice, bread or pasta.
Serving: 0g | Carbohydrates: 0g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 0g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g | Monounsaturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 0mg | Potassium: 0mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 0IU | Vitamin C: 0mg | Calcium: 0mg | Iron: 0mg