Mediterranean Vegetable Stew with Beans
This hearty, delicious Mediterranean Vegetable Stew with Beans, loosely based on ratatouille makes a fantastic vegetarian/vegan, gluten free meal.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 1 small/medium eggplant aubergine, cubed
- 1 large zucchini cubed/cut into chunks
- 1 red/green bell pepper roughly chopped
- 300 g butternut squash peeled, cubed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 x 400 g tin tomatoes
- 1 x 400 g tin white kidney beans or other white bean variety
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes in oil, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon each oregano and thyme
- 1.5 teaspoon coarse sea salt plus pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons white wine
- 5 tablespoons olive oil plus 3 more if you are working in batches
- 2/3 cup hot water a little less than a cup
- Serve with freshly chopped basil
In a large pot heat up 2 tablespoons of the oil, add the garlic, onion and bay leaf and fry slowly for 2-3 minutes until softened. Add the wine, beans, stir and continue cooking for 2-3 more minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano and thyme, stir and remove from the heat.
In a large frying pan heat up 3 tablespoons of the oil and fry the rest of the vegetables over a high heat for 5-6 minutes until lightly browned, stirring often (you may want to do this in batches to avoid overcrowding the pan - use 3 tablespoons of oil per batch).
Add the vegetables along with the hot water into the tomato mixture, stir, cover, bring to boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 30-35 minutes (until the eggplant and butternut squash are tender), stirring occasionally. Adjust the seasoning if necessary, scatter the fresh basil and serve (goes well with pasta, grilled chicken, bread or simply on its own).