Mediterranean Vegetable Stew with Beans
This hearty, delicious Mediterranean Vegetable Stew with Beans, loosely based on ratatouille makes a fantastic vegetarian/vegan meal.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 1 medium eggplant cubed
- 1 large zucchini cubed/cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper roughly chopped
- 300 g butternut squash peeled, cubed
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 400 g 1 can tomatoes
- 400 g 1 can white kidney beans or another white bean variety, including the water
- 4 sun dried tomatoes in oil, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp each oregano and thyme
- 5 tbsp white wine
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 200 ml vegetable stock hot
- 2/3 tsp coarse sea salt plus pepper to taste
In a large pot heat up 3 tablespoons of the oil, add the garlic, onion and bay leaf and fry slowly for 3 minutes until softened. Add the wine, stir and cook for another minute. Add the eggplant and squash and cook for 5 minutes stirring often.
Add the beans (along with the water from the can), tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs and a little seasoning, stir, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in the zucchini and pepper, cover and continue simmering for 15-20 more minutes or until all the vegetables are cooked through. Remove from the heat, adjust the seasoning as necessary and serve.
- Vegetables: You can add different vegetables into the pot depending on what's in season as well as preference. Swap the squash for pumpkin (chop it into larger chunks as it cooks quickly), add fennel or turnip.
- Herbs: I used a combination of thyme and oregano but it's entirely up to you whether you want to use both or just one of these herbs. Or perhaps create your own herb combination if you prefer.
- Try not to overcook the stew as the vegetables might be too soft. Eggplant and squash take a little longer to cook so I cooked them for 15 minutes before adding the zucchini and pepper.
- Serving suggestions: Serve alongside pasta or crusty bread, with a sprinkle of grated cheese (optional) and drizzle of oil.
- Refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 253kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 556mg | Potassium: 1114mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 6367IU | Vitamin C: 55mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 4mg