Low Sugar Cranberry Beetroot Chutney Recipe
This Low Sugar Cranberry Beetroot Chutney Recipe is an ideal accompaniment to turkey or ham, but is also delicious with cheese and crackers as well as Christmas/Thanksgiving dinner leftovers.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 10 people
- 230 g fresh cranberries
- 1 large beetroot peeled, finely diced
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger finely chopped
- 80 g sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons white malt or wine vinegar
- 5 tablespoons orange juice
- 30 ml marsala wine
- 1/6 teaspoon each ground cloves and allspice
- Zest of half an orange
- A good pinch of salt and pepper
In a medium saucepan heat up the oil, add the onion and ginger and cook slowly for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add the beetroot, marsala wine, sugar, vinegar, orange juice, stir and continue cooking for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the cranberries, orange zest, spice and seasoning, stir, pop the lid on, bring to boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes stirring occasionally (take care not to allow the sauce to stick to the bottom of the pan and burn). Adjust the seasoning if necessary, allow to cool and transfer into a jar. It can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 weeks.