Easy Cranberry Beetroot Chutney Recipe
This easy to make cranberry beetroot chutney is an ideal accompaniment to turkey or ham, but is also delicious with cheese and crackers as well as Christmas/Thanksgiving dinner leftovers.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 8 people
- 200 g fresh cranberries (2 cups)
- 1 medium beetroot peeled, finely diced
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger finely chopped
- 80 g sugar (0.4 cups)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp cider/wine vinegar
- 40 ml orange juice
- 40 ml marsala wine/port/sherry
- 1/5 tsp each ground cloves and allspice
- Zest of half an orange
- A good pinch of salt and pepper
In a medium saucepan heat up the oil, add the onion and ginger and cook slowly for 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add the beetroot, marsala wine, sugar, vinegar, orange juice, stir and continue cooking for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the cranberries, orange zest, spice and seasoning, stir, pop the lid on, bring to the boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes stirring occasionally (take care not to allow the sauce to stick to the bottom of the pan and burn). Adjust the seasoning if needed, allow to cool then transfer into a jar. It can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Preparation: I recommend wearing rubber gloves when handling beetroot. If it does stain your hands rub them with a piece of lemon, which should remove most of the stains.
- Cranberries: Use fresh or frozen cranberries.
- Beetroot: I do NOT recommend using store bought ready cooked beets. Yes, it will reduce cooking time but your chutney will not have the richness and depth of flavour that cooking beetroot from scratch will contribute. Not worth using this shortcut.
- Spices: I used a bit of cloves and allspice but you could also add a little cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg or chilli powder. Create your own flavours if you like.
- Storing: Once cooled transfer the chutney into a jar and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Not suitable for freezing.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 104.27kcal | Carbohydrates: 16.9g | Protein: 0.49g | Fat: 3.59g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Sodium: 10.32mg | Potassium: 101.97mg | Fiber: 1.71g | Sugar: 13.13g | Vitamin A: 25IU | Vitamin C: 7.35mg | Calcium: 6.8mg | Iron: 0.17mg